Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Edinburgh pronounced ...    

Edinburgh pronounced ...

aliciapc
Uruguay

Edinburgh pronounced ...

Good afternoon, everyone ! I have finished a project with 13-year-olds about different cities in the UK and one student who had prepared a beautiful poster about Scotland, while explaining his project to us, said " Edinburgh" sounding almost as we write it. I corrected him , as I have always heard the name pronounced differently, as the Scottish do, I guess. My student �s question came later : "Do all people in the UK pronounce it like that or just people in Scotland ?"  and I didn �t know so I told him I �d find out and tell him tomorrow. Can anyone tell me ? Thank you so much !

18 Nov 2010      

douglas
United States

UK-Edin boro
USA-Edin berg

UK friends please correct me if it is pronounced differently in different regions of the UK.

18 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �m from Glasgow and I pronounce it �Edin-bruh � although many other Glaswegians tend to dismiss it as �Embra - the frozen city �  Evil Smile  It is definitely not pronounced like Pittsburgh or even Marlboro �.

There �s an interesting link here, which includes a very uncertain Norwegian (there are a few misattributions, though: the person known as �alkessie � from the US is definitely Scots, for example)

18 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thanks a lot Douglas and Alex, I �ll check out the link as soon as I finish classes today.

18 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Aliciapc,

I �m from the Newcastle area in the north of England, and I think that many people in this region pronounce it the way that I do: Ed-in-buh-ruh, with the last 2 syllables very short, and the vowels �u � similar to the flat sound of  �u � in  �but �.

My mother, from Glasgow, Scotland, pronounced it Em-bra.

(It �s nickname, as the Scots will tell you, is �Auld Reekie �, (Old Reekie), because it reeked (smelled) of black smoke, I believe.)

Les

18 Nov 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Great link, Alex.  I hadn �t come across it before.  Does it really have all the words in the world?  A bit time-consuming to test the claim, though!

18 Nov 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you dear Les,
always your clear explanations! I didn �t know about "Old Reekie", interesting.
Your link was really clarifying, Alex, thank you.

18 Nov 2010     

douglas
United States

Whatever it �s called, had a great time at a conference there once--the last night we searched-out and investigated nightclubs until the "wee hours" 

19 Nov 2010