Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Well, not "bye for now", after all...    

Well, not "bye for now", after all...

magneto
Greece

Well, not "bye for now", after all...

Sorry to be bothering you again, dear colleagues...

One more question:

When it comes to worksheets, is it OK to use definitions from copyrighted resources (namely, dictionaries) if you add your own exercises and acknowledge the source (in both the ws and the description)?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I �m working on a ws right now and I need to be sure it �s OK to upload it. I wouldn �t want to have my ws reportedEmbarrassed

I �ve read the Rules again and I �m not really sure a dictionary is considered an ESL book in the strict sense of the term. I mean, I know it �s an ESL resource, but it �s not a coursebook or something...So...I �m not sure...
Sorry if I sound Wacko!

Thank you in advance for your replies!

18 Nov 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

techically definitions have no copyright (even though the dictionaries have one...), as long as you �re not scanning an entire page from a dictionary it should be fine! and I wouldn �t say dictionaries are not ESL resources... don �t worry too much!!! have a great week-end ;)

18 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Nope. Definitely not scanning.

And what I meant by this: "I �m not really sure a dictionary is considered an ESL book in the strict sense of the term." is based exactly on your suggestion about definitions: "technically they have no copyright"; i.e., I know a dictionary is an ESL resource, but it �s not a coursebook, containing texts and the like...See?Big smile

Anyway, thank you for your quick reply!

Have a great weekend yourself!Smile

Hug

P.S.: I can �t stop worrying so much...I �m the stressed type by nature...I guess I �ll wait for a few more answers, just to be on the safe side.Embarrassed

18 Nov 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Relax dear Magneto ! Smile  LOL

18 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Magneto

An acknowledgement of the source of your definitions at the bottom of the WS should suffice. 

Cheers

Jayho

18 Nov 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Dear Magneto,

Two things are for sure, as you hace already said:

"they" have no copyright, as far as I know, ......either you copy/paste pages and pages on end,or otherwise, you are just copying / stating an info, given for one dictionary.

Are they an esl resource?
Not sure, if you struggle hard about what esl resources are, well,I wouldn � t consider dictionaries as an ESL. Most of us don �t use them, as an esl resource; soour students usually use our small, addressed vocabulary sheets, we use small pictionaries, short lists... dictionaries are, no more an esl resource, when we speak of beginners or pre- intermediate students.
We prepair their own  small, private, thematic dictionaries, our students are not anymore used to check up words in dictionaries.

Not that I agree with this, but , a fact.

Today, I asked my kids to give me back a few words (5/ 6 ) similar words, homework.
And they asked:
How? do we have to check in a dictionary?
NO, just check in your own notebooks, the answers are there.
OK, that �s fine; we thought we had to check that in a dictionary,

hat would be a very hard, hard homework.

My kids, however I try, don �t use a dictionary, moreover in a second language.

So, my opinion,just me and my thoughts,Magneto, Ican �t see any problem in coty/paste definitions from a dictionary.

On the other hand, as far s it concerns to me, I must say, you have just waken me up for something I should have been doing and, have failed,: Students must  get used to " read" a dictionary. The way you show is ONE way.
Go on,upload aand, if you have any troubles let e know, I �ll try and go to the reporting page and fight for this.

PS. Sorry, if you see maby mistakes, as I have said fefore, night lifgt is a bad light for me; I CAn �t see well enought with electric light-
I trie d to check, but , not ssuer what I did

Hugs
LInda

19 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Good morning from Greece!

Thank you all for your replies! I guess I �ll just have to take my chances and upload that ws when I finish it...Wish me luck!

Hug

19 Nov 2010