Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > what shall I do?    

what shall I do?

class centre
Belarus

what shall I do?

Dear teachers!
Could I have your opinions on what I can do in a stupid and bothering situation of mine? How can I stop the sts from writing ( skratching) on the walls in the toilet of my school? Before there were some of them who wrote their namesLOL on the wall. Now bad words have appeared. It �s too much for me. What would you  do to stop it?
Thanks in advance
Natasha

19 Nov 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi Natasha,

The only solution that I can think of, is locking the door and having the students ask for the key if they need to use the bathroom.

Cheers,

Linda

19 Nov 2010     

nasnous
Tunisia

hi,
I think that the best solution to this situation is that to punish the student who write on the wall by making him/ her clean the place  LOL. No one will write any word after that!  Thumbs Up

19 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Ask the janitor to put up tiles instead.

19 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Maybe try peer pressure - have the class conduct a survey about the grafitti in the toilets.  Get them to design a questionnaire, trial it in your class, improve it then carry it out in the school.  If the collated results show that most students don �t like it then you can extend it into a poster competition, or another project,  to stamp out graffiti in the school.  Peer pressure is a wonderful tool. Not ony that, but a project such as this can encompass many of your learning areas using something that is relevant and meaningful.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Nasnous �s idea is great. Even if you do not know which one exactly did it, you can have the whole class clean up. That way anyone writing again is bound to get a lot of criticism from his classmates.(combines Jayho �s idea with nasnous �s)
Something else (I use this when I catch anyone sending little notes);
Make them write the same text in correct English, or if that is too easy or vulgar, have them write an essay on the different meanings and connotations or on how this kind of language affects people...or on the status of the people cleaning toilets and how they make a living( hopefully making them realize that there is no need to provide them with extra unneccessary work)....The son of a friend called a boy in his class �trash � and ended up writing a paper on recycling.....educational and effective....

19 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OOH, if I had my own school.. I would paint the walls with this special paint for blackboards and provide chalk. Invite students to be creative (set rules for what is appropriate of course). This urge to write on bathroom walls seems universal, why not tap into it and guide it to positive levels...advantage is also that you can erase anything inappropriate...
You can photograph once in a while (that also keeps a check on vulgarities) and hang the best ones in the wall. OOh and you could write little prompts or start you own �word of the day �....maybe encourage illustrations....

sorry, getting carried away...
Maybe I �ll suggest it in our school....

19 Nov 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Thank you dear teachers, very very much for your suggestions. You are all absolutely right. I probably will have to use all the means mentioned and hope that they will work. MEANWHILE M

19 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

I think the two solutions that have been suggested are good ones.  Another possibility which can be used along with them is that you have a record book of who goes to the toilets.  Each time someone else goes, they carry out an inspection.  If there is a problem the the person before them, is probably guilty.  Like all solutions there are a few potential problems.  The thing is making the students accountable for their actions and also realising that they are responsible for the consequences - such as cleaning up etc.  Also trying to develop a sense of pride in their school - even their toilet.  Reward the whole class if after a week the toilets are clean.  This way there will be a great amount of positive peer pressure to keep the toilets tidy.
You would be surprise which children actualy do these things.  It is often the quieter ones who feel the need to rebel and the toilets are a safe place - away from adults.
Have fun!

ps had a power cut as i tried to send this so it might be too late in the discussion.

19 Nov 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Thank you dear teachers, very very much for your suggestions. You are all absolutely right. I probably will have to use all the means mentioned and hope that they will work. MEANWHILE
my husband is mending the spoiled places by covering them with clean wall paper. ...Wacko
have a great week end!
natasha

19 Nov 2010