Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Cuisenaire rods (with Adult Learners)    

Cuisenaire rods (with Adult Learners)

colibrita
United Kingdom

Cuisenaire rods (with Adult Learners)

Hi Everyone

Has anyone used cuisenaire rods to teach English to adults? Would love to hear about your experiences and any tips you may have.

Have a lovely weekend, wherever you are!!

Colibrita

19 Nov 2010      

baiba
Latvia

Hi Colibrita

I have not used them in my work but I have read this article. You may find some ideas there.

19 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I had it used with me when I was trying to learn Maori and I hated it. I �m a words person and learning completely orally with examples demonstrated with cuisenaire just did not work for me.
I am a fan of cuisenaire for teaching maths to children which  I have done often in the past.
Cheers Joy

19 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

How very interesting - I never heard of it so I googled it and found another article here:

Cheers

Jayho

19 Nov 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

Yes, I �ve used many times. I use them to explain sentences structure, the auxiliars, negative and interrogative sentences, etc..

Ex. The subject is a blue rod. The verb is a red one. The predicate is a green one. Then I put the blue next to the red and the red next to the green one and I say, showing or pointing to each rod, " They write compositions" . Then I get another rod, a different color and I say, putting it next to the blue one and I say, " Do they write compositions?" , and so on.. After that, the students are able to model like I did and saying the sentence out loud. For visual students, the rods are quite helpful.

19 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

we are not allowed to use rods anymore,
cynicism,
a public humiliation maybe,
but never the rod...

just joking...
(had never heard of using the rod in education before, only in the saying �to spare the rod..)

19 Nov 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your comments. Baiba, yeah that �s one of the first links I came across, it �s quite informative.

Have a great weekend!

Love

Colibrita

20 Nov 2010