Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Women īs underwear    

Women īs underwear

abba
Spain

Women īs underwear

Hello! I hope evrybody is having a nice Sunday, here it is freezing today. Anyway. I just wanted to ask you if women īs underwear has got any specific name, I have always studied underwear but my daughter īs English teacher said īlingerie � but seis South African, perhaps in any other English speaking countries people refer to it in a different way.
Thanks

21 Nov 2010      

Jayho
Australia

Hi abba

Here in the land of Oz Lingerie is the fancy (formal) word and the word used by the boutique ladies underwear shops and the womens undergarment sections in department stores.  There are also some other formal words for individual lingerie items such as briefs.

Most people refer to mens and womenīs undercothing as underwear.  The informal word for briefs is simply undies (unisex), knickers (female) and jocks (male).  This might be different in other English speaking countries.

There are also two idioms about underwear:

Donīt get your knickers in a knot.
Donīt get your tights in a tangle

Cheers

Jayho

21 Nov 2010     

abba
Spain

Thanks a lot Jayho, I was just curious because I was taught underwear ad I teach underwear but, you know,language is always changing.

Thanks.

Belén

21 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

And of course there is the further confusion that in some countries īpants � are underwear and in others, īpants � are trousers.

21 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Here in the USA, lingerie is a term for ladies � undergarments in general. It doesn īt refer to anything in particular, just as furniture doesn īt. We have panties (briefs, bikini, boy cut, low cut, or high cut) and thongs. We have bras (underwire, push up, molded cup, padded cup, soft cup, strapless, halter, criss cross, or minmizer). We have slips and half slips although many women don īt wear them anymore. We have camisoles and tanks which are very popular and sometimes worn as outerwear. We have "shapewear" such as Spanx or girdles. We have pantyhose, tights, and stockings. And in colder climates, we have long underwear or long johns (my sister calls them long janes, but that isn īt standard).

I tried to remember everything, but I īm middle-aged and the memory is starting to go...

21 Nov 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Dear Friends: This post is very interesting. I īve certainly learned a lot. Thank you so much, especially MoodyMoody. I have never come across so many terms to refer to specific underwear. Great!! 

Love from Argentina. By the way, here is extremely HOT today!
Naty

21 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Did anyone mentions PANTIES???  LOL

21 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Umm, yes I did. I forgot the fishnet stockings, though.

21 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Wow, fishnet stockings! I quess I know how they look like :-D
Thanks a lot for the wonderful list of vocabulary.
I have learnt a lot of new words...

21 Nov 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

what a bunch of fetichists you are!

(only joking....)

21 Nov 2010     

ellakass
Israel

I think it is wonderful to live in a hot country-less is better! No need to learn these words!

21 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >