Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > jobs - what is the difference between...?    

jobs - what is the difference between...?

NanG
Argentina

jobs - what is the difference between...?

Hi everyone!

Would you please tell me if I �m right?  Smile

The difference between a flight attendant and a flight assistant is that the first one works on planes and the second one works at the airport.

Is this correct??

Thanks in advance and warm hugs!!

21 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

I think they �re the same. I didn �t find any separate entries for flight assistant.
I did find ground attendant for the person who helps passengers at the airport, though.

Hope I �ve helped!

21 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

I �ve never heard about Flight assistant in this sense..

I think you should use Flight attendance, Steward (masculine) or Stewardess (feminine).
another possibilities are Cabin crew, air hosts/hostesses

I hope this helps.

Hug

21 Nov 2010     

NanG
Argentina

Dear magneto and el_profe55 ,

I asked for help because some of my Ss wrote flight assistant in a Listening Comprehension  Test instead of flight attendant (or some of the possiblities el_profe55 also suggested).

And when I found this : flight assistant , I decided to ask .

What do you think about it now?

Smile

21 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Ermm...Any native speakers out there?

21 Nov 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

Confused... native speakers where are you? Wink

21 Nov 2010     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Hi

I would definitely say a flight attendant works on the aircraft - as you say, also called cabin crew, steward/stewardess, air hostess.  Funnily enough it sounds wrong to say air host though!

Another slang term for air hostess is trolly dolly!

Flight assistant would be the person on the ground helping travellers at the airport.

21 Nov 2010     

SueThom
United States

I �ve never heard of "flight assistant" before, but then I looked at the article and it made more sense:  it �s British and those people talk funny. Wink

I ran the term through a US corpus and got no hits (although there were 1,025 for "flight attendant").

"Stewardess" is an old term (when you had to be young, attractive, and female to do the job) that �s been out of use for a long time around here.  We just use "flight attendant".

And as for "ground attendant", I �ve not heard that term, but am familiar with "ground handler".

Hope that helps.

Sue

21 Nov 2010     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Funnily enough, the British people think the people in the US speak funny too!!!   Wink

21 Nov 2010     

NanG
Argentina

Thank you all for answering!!

Thank you very much !!!

Hug

21 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Well, we down under are used to having people say that we mangle, corrupt and debase the English language Wink but I have never heard the expression �flight assistant" before.
Isn �t that the beauty of language that new words are constantly coming into play!

22 Nov 2010