Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > storing mini books    

storing mini books

David Lisgo
Japan

storing mini books

Hi,
I have decided to start using mini books on a regular basis with a number of my classes and I �m wondering what is the best way for the students to store them in such a way that they will be tempted to read them again at home. I �m sure that I can come up with a plan but I would be interested in how your pupils keep their mini books. If I don �t make a plan then they will just stuff them in their bags.
Thanks in advance. David

22 Nov 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

How about displaying them in the classroom?
Each minibook printed on A3 - so it is bigger...
Attach a string, ribbon, golden thread... and hang it on the notice boad or
make a sort of a "coat hanger" - "minibook hanger"
In the xmas time you can try to hang those mini minibooks on a Christmas tree or put an artificial advent wreath, hang it on the ceiling and attach the strings with paper clips + minibooks...

SS can put their minibook on a peg at home and use the string/thread of different lenghts so the minibooks can form a funny bundle

22 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Without knowing what is in those minibooks here is a couple ideas. 

Have stories and characters in them using progressive story technique so they have to go back to see what their character has done.  

Do you let them add drawings to the items in the minibooks?  The pictures should of course go along with what is in the minibook. 

Have a review book on the side that they take their books and get reviews like real books and movies from friends, family and neighbors.

A book binder that can be used to combine all the books and the students decorate it.  They can be displayed later on for parents and visitors to look at.

22 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

A book binder seems to be a really good idea...
Maybe I would also write numbers - each minibook would have its number...
There would be a list of names of the minibooks in the binder too so the kids can look forward to reading the new books...
Colouring, decorating, stickers, using a comics hero... all are really good ideas...
Personalise the minibooks, let the kids fill in some PERSONAL info in each book, personalised mini-writing, mini-story at the end of the book...

ANYBODY ELSE AROUND? NEW IDEAS?
I am really curious!!!

22 Nov 2010     

carinaluc
Argentina

I use minibooks with my daughter.  I �ve designed cardboard boxes for her to store them according to their themes/topics.  For example, there is one for fairy tales, another one for grammar books, etc.  The boxes are similar to the ones you can find in any stationery store for storing files or magazines, only I made them small enough for the minibooks to fit into them.  In this way, the minibooks are �protected �, they are easy to find and she can carry them with her wherever she goes.  I made them plain so she could add her own pictures and words to identify the different boxes.

Hugs

Carina

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi! I make tons of minibooks ( They �re a real hit with my Special needs.) The first member who taught me was Alenka....
Just like Carina, I make up cardboard boxes, & adapt them to different shapes. Here is a link Laurence ( Frenchfrog ) gave me for various minibooks :
I now make 18-page books...Kids love it.
Have a nice day.
Sylvie

22 Nov 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

This is great. I made my first mini-book just a few days ago and your ideas are opening my mind to more ideas. I love the thought of having the children personalise their books, perhaps the back cover of each book can have a simple story related activity for the children to do. Very useful link Sylvie. I have some longer stories which can �t fit easily onto one page, at least not in a book format, so learning, like yourself, how to make longer books would be very handy.
I will look in our local shops for book binders and suitable containers.
If someone has more ideas please share them before this thread disappears. Thanks again for your comments on this topic.

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

David,
Accordeon books let you add as many pages as you wish ;o))) I �ve made some, but I used pics from ws here, so I �m not going to upload them here ... ;o)) I made Word shapes & added numbers to pages... The kids only had to paste some ( not many!!) tiny pages. I just made a sample for the book cover, & that �s about it!! I loved making it ( & spent a whole week end with my PC & glue & scissors!!LOL I used the link I gave you ...)
Hope you �ll make your kids very happy with their tiny library!!!
Big smile

http://www.thetoymaker.com/Toypages/

http://www.thetoymaker.com/Toypages/42FairyBook/FairyBookBW.pdf

http://stamphenge.wordpress.com/minibooks/

The second link is the one I used to make my 18-page minibooks...You can adapt it to your needs :o))) The first one will help you make cardboaord boxes - & adapt them ...

Have fun!!!

Sylvie

22 Nov 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

Reaalu useful sites, Sylvie. Thanks

Silvia

22 Nov 2010     

stexstme
France

I wish I could share, Silvia, but unfortunatelyLOL I used stuff from here! ;o)))
I do hope you �ll be as happy as I have making these tiny books! Wink
Let me know! Big smile
Sylvie

22 Nov 2010