Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your help, please    

I need your help, please

RENZO
Peru

I need your help, please

Hello , dear colleagues

First of all I am very grateful because of your help without konwing me.

I would like to know if some of  you, know a webpage or have worksheets about the main  differences between might have done and could have done.

EXAMPLE

MAY HAVE DONE

= something is a possibility in the past.

• I wonder why Sofia  didn�t answer the phone. She may have been asleep.

(= perhaps she was asleep)

MAY/MIGHT / could  HAVE DONE   - USED FOR SPECULATIONS. IS IT CORRECT?

Examples

He might have died.

He could have died.

Could have + past participle

The structure could have + past participle can be used to criticize people for not doing things. It can also be used to talk about past events that did not happen.

• I have been waiting since morning - you could have said that you weren �t coming.
  • Why did you drive so carelessly? You could have killed yourself.

ON THE OTHER HAND.

On the other hand we use the relative clauses(who, which, whose, where, when), to write defining and non defining relative clauses.    IS IT CORRECT.

Examples

My friends, who are in all over the world, always help me without any conditions.

I have a lot of friends who live abroad.

The name defining and non defining , it is because they define things.    IS IT CORRECT.?

Thanks a million in advance.

take care.

23 Nov 2010      

kodora
Greece

Have a look at chapter 10-Modal verbs chapter 19-Relative clauses
http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/durrus/153/gramtoc.html
Who, whose and which are relative pronouns while when and where are relative adverbs.
They are used to introduce relative clauses which can be either defining or non-defining.
Defining are the clauses which are necessary to the meaning of the main clause e.g. The man who gave you the keys is my brother.
Non-defining clauses are the ones which add more information to the main clause e.g. My brother,who is a teacher,is over there.
We must always place the  Non-defining clauses between commas
Dora

23 Nov 2010