Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > PROBLEMS YOU FACE DURING LESSONS    

PROBLEMS YOU FACE DURING LESSONS

memthefirst
Turkey

PROBLEMS YOU FACE DURING LESSONS

WHAT DO YOU DO TO MOTIVATE AN UNSUCCESSFUL AND EASILY BORED CLASS????

5 Dec 2008      

svetic
Kazakhstan

To my mind students are unsuccessful, when they aren�t able to do what we, teachers, want. May be they have problems to speak, read, write etc. Try to give them easy, but interesting tasks (connected with their real life) to help them to be self-confident, to feel what does it mean to be successful. I had the same situation with some of my pupils. I hope you will be able to get it over.
greets from Kazakhstan, 
Svetlana 

5 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

I think the way you deal with such groups depends on their age.

With teens I have found it very useful to have a talk  our first class in order to know about their experience with the language, their feelings and expectations, listening to their criticism and their wishes. It is essential to be able to develop the syllabus in an attractive way to them.

Activities like group work,  group competition have always been successful. They need to feel involved in the class not to get bored and those are very good techniques.

5 Dec 2008     

cgato
Portugal

HI!

Sometimes I pray..LOL . Seriously, I think the advices svetic and Tere-arg have posted are good clues. I feel the same you do many times. I think "but what can I do?". Many times students like a subject because they like the teacher, they feel that we like what we are doing and that we are concerned about them. Don�t give up on them, they will surely feel it.

Keep on the good work!

greetings from portugal

5 Dec 2008     

candilek
Turkey

bu sinif T�rkiye�de ve hatta ilk�gretimde ise ve hatta spot on , time for english ya da new bridge
�alisiyorsa yanitim n.o.t.h.i.n.g  ....

5 Dec 2008     

Rabinoshka
Russian Federation

I�ve found that even with the most unmotivated groups, there usualy is at least one activity that they love - boardgames, story-telling, something... I met a group once that adored "open-the-brackets" grammar exercises that I normally try to use as little as possible  and hated all kinds of games. Just keep trying various activities and you�ll surely discover something that makes them interested in the class!

5 Dec 2008