Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > stolen flashcards or scanned pictures from books    

stolen flashcards or scanned pictures from books

patufa
Spain

stolen flashcards or scanned pictures from books

When do you consider that a worksheet is stolen? Because most of the flashcards that are in this web ,I supposed, have been copied from a book, like the onea about months, so is this possible or not? Becasue I do not know what do you understand by stolen

Thanks

23 Sep 2008      

marta73
Spain

Hi, Patufa! Well, yes, it�s a bit confusing. Most of us have used "borrowed" pictures from the net ,although some good honest people pay for them if copyrighted. Strictly speaking, I guess we shouldn�t be using pics without permission.
As for me, I consider that a ws is stolen, when a whole work is taken from somebody without permission and to get an undeserved profit. Sometimes we use other people�s pictures and create our own activity, or get inspired by someone�s work or ideas. That�s all right, I think. But lately I�ve seen some people uploading other people�s work , just like that. The very same work it took hours to create to mptob, vanda,and people from other sites. I think that�s unfair and ethically wrong.

23 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Patufa (you have just reopened a can of wormsLOL)

My understanding is this
You Cannot:
1) upload scanned pages from a book
2) upload someone elses work from this web page or another

You Can:
1) create your own printables and upload them
2) use other peoples ideas to create your own printable - as long as the work you submit is original

In Debate:
Use pictures from any source
- under copyright law (which changes in different countries) it seems there is a �for educational purposes� clause which means we can use any picture if it is for educational and not for profit purposes and does not effect the owner of the copyright.  This interpretation is mine though - and not a legal opinion.  Each person has to make their own mind up on this one - as some companies - such as DISNEY regularly challenge this law by taking everyday people such as ourselves to court.

A good idea:
1) Acknowledge the person who inspired you to create a printable and reference your work.
2) Avoid using pictures etc that expressly say �copyrighted do not use� on the website where you find them.
3) If you use popular characters (ie The Simpsons) leave the copyright on the picture.

I hope this helps.  Thumbs Up  (I can�t wait to see goodnesses and frenchies comments on this topic...LOL)

23 Sep 2008     

BEA.
Belgium

Just to make it clear.. what about "modified" worksheets?
I mean those kind of printables..found on the internet and MODIFIED ?
Is that considered stealing?

Thanks

23 Sep 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I think it depends how much you modify Bea.

to be sensible about it (ethical...) you would need to have added some value to the original. 

Personally I would not consider the following a modification:
- fix grammar or spelling
- move or change the pictures

I would consider the following a modification:
- Completely different activity around a picture, song, story or video
- Completely different vocabulary
- Completely different comprehension questions

Note the COMPLETELY DIFFERENT part

My opinion only - would love to hear other peoples thoughts.

BTW - if you are copying and pasting large amounts - it probably isn�t original

23 Sep 2008     

BEA.
Belgium

I must agree here.

But, for instance I took from the net a kind of autumn book... and as my students are 6 years old and they are just learning to read and write.. i transformed it in a coloring book and on each page a little autumn rhyme..

I prefer to make it clear... before posting sth that might be considered stealing.

Thanks and hugz to everybody.

23 Sep 2008     

cgato
Portugal

Sometimes it�s quite hard to respect everyone�s work  and at the same time use it! Since I became  a member of this community I have learned a lot and I have seen amazing ws! But our portuguese schoools don�t have much money to spend on photocopies, so sometimes I have to "summarise" some of your really beautiful ws!My diagnostics tests were made of your contributions. I didn�t upload them because I thought they were made of your contributions, so that would be stealing! What do you think? Can we rearrange your work according to our needs and then see it useful to someone??? I could ask permission from every member involved but I lost track of them!What do you think Vikiii?

23 Sep 2008     

Azza_20
United Arab Emirates

Hi there

i think that as long as the contributor states the resource ( name of the book, journal, magazine�etc)  he is taking the pictures from, there is no harm in sharing the materials with other members who may not have access to the same materials.

patufa, may I know which (months) flashcards you are referring to as stolen ones? I have uploaded 4 sets yesterday and it was published today but I didn�t copy it from a text book I�ve created it using word art and clipart from fotosearch. I don�t want people to assume that I�ve taken someone else�s work and getting credit for it.

23 Sep 2008     

victor
Spain

Hi,
Using pictures scanned from books might cause copyright problems for this website.
I know there are lots of worksheets with scanned pictures, but I continue removing them when I check the source.

23 Sep 2008