Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > will or going to?    

will or going to?

aniapen
Poland

will or going to?

Dear colleagues, when predicting future, would you say: �There will be a computer for each student in our school in 2020." or "There is going to be a computer for each student in our school in 2020." ??? Could you give me an explanation, please?
Thanks in advance,
Anna

25 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

You can only use will for a prediction which is not based on solid evidence.

You can use be going to either: a) if the prediction is based on solid evidence, or b) if having a computer for each student in your school in 2020 is a plan.

Hope I �ve helpedSmile

25 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

This is more of a simple statement about the future, rather than a prediction, so "will" definitely sounds better. "Going to" also works, but it doesn �t sound as natural.

Bruce

25 Nov 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

Yes, as Magneto said you use will when you are making predictions based only on your opinion:

I think there will be a computer for.....

But if you know this can happen because you have some evidence you use be going to:

Scientists say there �s going to be... / statistics show there �s going to be...

So, it depends on the context. In your case I think you �re just making predictions, thinking what could happen in the future in that school so you should use will. Unless, it is a plan. In that case (again as Magneto said) we use be going to to talk about our plans or intentions (never will for this use)

Is it clear?

25 Nov 2010     

aniapen
Poland

Thanks a lot :)

25 Nov 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

we also use will for future facts - I will be 45 next August.

I�d say you can use both depending on the slant you need to give.

the future is a very complicated area!!

25 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Good point, Dawnmain. I �d forgotten about that.

25 Nov 2010