Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Traffic signal or Traffic light    

Traffic signal or Traffic light

lofthanzaaa
Germany

Traffic signal or Traffic light

Teachers, could you please correct this for me:

The bus stop is about two kilometers away from my house. After you reach the bus stop, go to the traffic signal and turn left. Then go straight for one block. My house is on your left next to the bank.

1- Should I use traffic signal or traffic light? If both, then what is the difference?
2- Should I say � � After you reach" or " After you have reached"? If both, then what could the difference be again?

Thanks,

26 Nov 2010      

[email protected]
United Kingdom

1. In Br Eng it �s traffic light. Maybe it �s different for Am Eng, I �m not sure.
2. You can say both. Directions are often given as a chain of present simple instructions: �Turn left at the ..., then you go..., stop at the bank..., walk over the bridge... � etc. This is in common with most instruction sets (for example, �what to do in the event of fire � or �recipes �). However, if you are thinking the instructions through as you �re telling someone - that is, picturing it in your mind �s eye - you might well use the present perfect �After you �ve reached � because, in your head, that �s what you �ve done - you �ve reached somewhere and now you �re continuing.

Hope that makes some sense!

Alex

26 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

In South Afrcia, traffic lights are called �robots �.  I still can �t bring myself to say, "turn left at the robots.:

26 Nov 2010     

chrissmolder
Australia

Hello!

My flag is Aussie, but actually I �m from the US.  I prefer to say traffic light, or simply light.  I live in Australia, but I can �t say for certain what is commonly said here--maybe it �s light too, as I haven �t noticed any differences.  I agree with Alex that it is probably just a regional preference or that maybe traffic signal might be more formal (used in driving manuals etc.)--but I am not sure.

I think Alex is right on number 2, too!

26 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

That �s right Chris - Ozzies mostly say traffic lights and traffic signals is more formal.  Both are acceptable for us.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Nov 2010