Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day for Monday    

Word of the Day for Monday

David Lisgo
Japan

Word of the Day for Monday

Well, thank you Anita giving giving me the honour of choosing today �s word. I guess my definition was the most childish one given.

Today �s word is scrimshanker.

If you know the word then forget it and create a new and better definition.  I �m lacking humour generally, being an over serious person, so if you make me laugh for more than 5 seconds your sure to be the winner.

So start scrimshanking or whatever you do when you partake in W.O.D.

29 Nov 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

Well, as you all know, scrimshaw is the art of engraving on whalebone, and shank is another word for leg. So a scrimshanker is an artist who carves on the bones of people �s legs to make patterns. A scrimshanker makes a tattooist seem downright humanitarian. I certainly don �t want to be scrimshanked myself!

Example of scrimshanking

29 Nov 2010     

chud
Israel

Its a GHOST - Scarry Immortal Shanker (shanker - the one who walks without stopping) who makes you scream.

Usage: "I �m afraid there is another SCRIMSHANKER in my attic. I can hear him walk at night."Evil Smile

29 Nov 2010