Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Annoying or only frustrating    

Annoying or only frustrating

blunderbuster
Germany

Annoying or only frustrating

Hi,

I am grading a test and a student wrote the following:

I have never been able to arrive on time. I simply can �t. It �s so annoying.

I wanted "frustrating."  I think that "annoying" is more for something that happens vs something that doesn �t happen, but I am about to ok his choice.....

Also, can drumming next door be confusing or only annyoing/distracting? It would depend on the context, wouldn �t it?

What do you think? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Regards

29 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Annoying is like irritating - it bothers you.

But frustrating is almost like feeling defeated or disappointed in a negative way.
For instance - if you are trying to do something and it just doesn �t work out - that is frustrating!

Your student could be annoyed by being late - but also frustrated that he just can �t ever be on time.

Re. the drumming next door - if the noise is too much - it is annoying.
If it gets in the way of you doing something - then it is distracting.
If you �re trying to sleep and can �t because of the noise - then it is irritating or annoying - but
I wouldn �t say it is confusing!

29 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you very much for confirming my believes ;o)

Warm regards from snowy Germany

29 Nov 2010     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

Hey, just reconfirming really.  I �d say annoyed was just angry and frustrated was a mix of angry and feeling defeated.  Also, I think that knocking on the wall could be confusing given the right context!  E.g. I didn �t think that anyone lived next door so the continual knocking on the wall at night was fairly confusing!

29 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you too, Holly. Thumbs Up

29 Nov 2010