Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with ideas!    

Help with ideas!

nombasa
South Africa

Hi
I also think that culture can be a set back.  For instance, I always encourage my students to use eye contact and good listening and observation skills so that they can determine whether what they have said has been understood.  You can learn a lot about your ability to communicate that way.  In the amaXhosa custom, it is not polite to have eye contact with someone who is older than you.  Since I am older than most of my students, it is a problem.

Also certain language/gramatical  differences can be very difficult to change.  Again for instance in isiXhosa, there is only one pronoun for he/she/you.  This means that when they speak in English, many of them use the pronoun he to cover everything from their sister to the person they are talking to.  It is very difficult to change such a gramatical convention. 

It is an interesting topic.  I hope you enjoy working on it.  I am sure it will help you to be a more effective teacher.

1 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2