Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Creating crosswords!    

Creating crosswords!

dosjulia
Spain

Creating crosswords!

Dear colleagues,
I �m preparing some worksheets in which I �d like to include some crosswords (the criss-cross type). The problem is that I have no idea on how to create a crossword grid or insert it on a doc. Do you know if there are any tutorials on this? Or could you give me any useful tips on this matter? I �d be really grateful to you!!
Big hugs, Julia

1 Dec 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Try googling free crossword generators. Here�s an example
SophiaSmile

1 Dec 2010     

dosjulia
Spain

Thanks a lot Sophia. I know that site, but the point is that my crosswords have been thought for children, so instead of the  written clues there are pictures. In this type of sites they ask me for the written clues. I would like to find a way to create my own grid, without including  written clues, at least not always!

1 Dec 2010     

caroay
Spain

Hi dosjulia!

I use Discovery Puzzlemaker. I alsto teach elementary students, and I just write the words, so that I know what they are, but then I just copy and paste the crossword, and I include my own clues, with pictures underneath. It works for me, I haven �t found a more effective way yet!
Let me know if you want me to send you a sample crossword puzzle!
Carolina

1 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hi Julia!

I use this generator myself, then copy-paste the crossword and the definitions on a word document and replace the definitions with pictures.

Take a look at this or this if you want to see what the end result looks like. No need to download them if you don �t want to - you can just take a look at the preview.

Hope I �ve helped a bitSmile

Edit: I�m referring to the programme suggested by Sophia. I haven�t tried the one Carolina suggested.

1 Dec 2010     

dosjulia
Spain

Thank you Carolina. Well, if you could send me a sample it �d be great!! I �ll check Discovery Puzzlemaker, too. But any added help is more than welcome!
Thank you a lot!
Hugs, Julia

1 Dec 2010     

dosjulia
Spain

Thanks a lot Magneto. I �ll try that!!
Big Hugs
Julia

1 Dec 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Try this too:

I love it!

1 Dec 2010     

dosjulia
Spain

Thanks to you all for your wonderful and quick help!!!
kisses

1 Dec 2010     

renko6
Poland

Hi Julia,

I sent you PM.

Hugs!
Renia Wink

1 Dec 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Eclipse Crossword maker is my favourite. The list of clues just replace with pictures... Easy...
The crossword is not heavy and if saved as pgn, it is still editable!

1 Dec 2010