Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say     

How do you say

colibrita
United Kingdom

How do you say

Hi Everyone

How do we say "trafico de influencias" in English? Nepotism comes to mind, but I �m not quite sure. Can you go to court on nepotism charges?

A headline in yesterday´s El Pais newspaper reads.  "Cano responder� por tr�fico de influencias"

Hugs

Colibrita

2 Dec 2010      

roneydirt
United States

My Spanish is rusty but to me it reads someone is being arrested for influencing peddling... so how close am I?  do I win a prize?

2 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Abuse of power?

Actually, this snake has many heads. It can go from accepting (or demanding) bribes or �tea money �, corruption, cronyism (e.g. assigning government contracts to friends) to putting pressure on others (e.g. police or magistrates) to do something in your favour.

2 Dec 2010     

fidelina
Iceland

According to Google translate:

Cano liable for insider trading.

2 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

misuse of power?

2 Dec 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

You know William, I think first prize might just go to you! Clap

"Influence peddling" though rather than "influencing peddling" perhaps. ; )

And PhilipR thanks for such a great collection of ideas, great! "tea money" - I LOVE it!

"Misuse of power" also a good one. Thanks Douglas!

Fidelina, thanks for checking on Google translate, but fortunately (for those who translate for a living) the art of translation still can �t be mastered by a computer! Insider trading is something different entirely, though of course you can go down for it too (= go to prison)!

Mua mua to you all!

Colibrita

2 Dec 2010     

brunagrebelatto
Brazil

Well, I guess this is portuguese, right? " Tr�fico de influ�ncias" it �s when someone from the government  or public service demands, promesses, or gets advantages for himself or someone else using the power obtained through his public position.

2 Dec 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

Hello,

What a difficult question!

Hmmm, Nepotism is the practice of unfairly giving the best jobs to members of your family when you are in a position of power". In Spanish it would be translated like "Acomodo pol�tico"

Bribing is when you give someone money or a "gift", in order to persuade them to do something for you. In Spanish it would be translated like "Soborno"

And, "TR�FICO DE INFLUENCIAS" means someone like a public servant misusing his power, a kind of abuse of his/ her own gain. I would say Political Corruption, Misuse of power or Graft (AmE)

for further information check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_corruption

Have a nice day!

Alex Carr

2 Dec 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

I �m currently living in a Spanish speaking country; bribery came to mind as well. Actually, I think it �s the "nicest" way they could have come up with to explain what this guy did.
XOX

2 Dec 2010