Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please    

Help me please

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Help me please

Hi,
Can you help me in these things, please ?

1- How can we help sts to differentiate between these words:  Young and Adult ?

2- Which one is right ? I am confused  Embarrassed

a- How many beliefs is Islam based on ?
or
b-  How many beliefs are Islam based on ? 

Which phrase is correct :
a- Fasting Ramadan
b- Fasting of Ramadan ??

Thanks a lot in advance,
:)

2 Dec 2010      

roneydirt
United States

Young and adult?  Do you mean young and old?  You can talk of the different age groups.  baby, toddler, child (young/older),  preteen, teenager, young adult, adult, elderly.

Islam is singular so use the word "is."  "Is" is usually used in singular and "are" is used in plural forms like "Religions."

Fasting of Ramadan

2 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot Roney

For is and are I know their uses but I was confused to use is or  are according to beliefs or Islam.

For the first question , I want to  help sts to differentiate between these words:  Young and Adult ?

2 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

It depends on the sentence but usually when said Islam, Catholic, Christianity or Buddhism (plus others) they are spoken in a singular tense, "is."

young and adult.... that can be difficult... you can be young and an adult.  like me...  :)
I am young and I am also an adult of 40 years...  or is that young at heart.  Fighting for my students keeps my warrior heart young.  ;)

2 Dec 2010     

foose1
United States

I am 55 but I am still young.  At the same time, I am not a child but I can be childish.  I do not look like a child as I look old.  Young and old are relevant only to your initial references.  Again a child is a child is a child, while a child cannot be an adult until the child becomes of age.

2 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

John!!!!! You don �t look old!! At least not that I can tell by your picture. ;-)

2 Dec 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

Hello,

@Edrodmedina LOL

That wasn �t very adult of you, but I don �t care because I know you are young at heart WinkParty

Have a nice day "Young" People!

Alex Carr

2 Dec 2010