Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Most used English words. Help please.    

Most used English words. Help please.

jannabanna
France

It �s a great pity that there are people like THAT on this site.  As far as I �m concerned they are not welcome!

3 Dec 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Redbull, my students being youg adults would love your list.

I agree with libertybelle and foose1 that that word has bad undertones but the reality is that the students hear it all the time.

With all due respect to the USA do have a listen to the movies that are being produced.
It seems to be the preferred adjective of choice.

I do not allow it in class but I predict that in 20 years time it will be very common.
IMHO Joy
PS I �ve never drunk redbull but you seem to have enough wings for all of us LOL

3 Dec 2010     

foose1
United States

That may be true that this type of language can be found in American movies but American movies also having a rating system.  Apparently, this site doesn �t.

John

3 Dec 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

This is for adults only!

If your viewing is offended you can always choose to switch to a new post.

I sent Libertybelle a PM so she can explain to all of you what I said to her. This would save me a lot of time repeating myself.

Would I use the word f_ _k in the classroom ? NO that goes without saying.

You Americans and anybody else need to chill out STOP BEING A STICK IN THE MUD!

BUT,
If I have inadvertently coursed offence or offended you with my post, I apologise,without reserve or reservations.

But, Please remember not all native speakers have your same view on life.

And this site is only meant to be for teachers that are adults so no ratings here like (15)

FREEDOM OF SPEACH I THOUGHT YOU AMERICANS LOVE THIS!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

3 Dec 2010     

rnrlisa
United States

Hi there all!
I think Joy has the right attitude and Redbull, please don �t be so quick to offend.  I thought your post was useful, but of course not for a classroom lesson:-)  This is a wonderful forum and I think we all realize that opinions are personal and not to be used for creating stereotypes for certain nationalities.
If you look at the history of English, and most likely other languages, words go in and out of certain types of usage. In the Victorian age, words like leg, thigh, buck, and stallion were actually unacceptable and were replaced with drumstick, first joint, sire, and male animal. We don �t want to go backwards and be that uptight.  It will be interesting to see how f*** is used in 50 years. 
I primarily teach adults and try to warn about the intensity and correct usages of any words that come up in discussion.  In conversations outside of the classroom, students appreciate hearing more and we share a lot of giggles:-)
Have a great day!

7 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2