Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > SOME VOCABULARY QUESTIONS    

SOME VOCABULARY QUESTIONS

Yolandaprieto
Spain

SOME VOCABULARY QUESTIONS

When do native people use the words:"corny", "stroppy", "grubby" and "sloppy". I have of course looked them up in a dictionary but I still have doubts about their use. Can you please help me?
Yolanda

3 Dec 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

I would use corny to describe a joke, writing, or possibly clothing that is clich�ed in a rural way. For example: "What do you get when you cross a rooster and a duck? A bird that gets up at the quack of dawn." The word came about from jokes printed in corn catalogs read mostly by farmers ordering seed for next year �s crops.

I don �t know stroppy at all. Maybe the Brits and Aussies use the word, but I �ve never heard it. It could also be recent slang that I haven �t kept up with.

Grubby is dirty and grimy. I �d use it especially for small children, but adults with especially dirty jobs might also be called grubby.

Sloppy is messy, especially in dress. A person who wears a jacket two sizes too large, a shirt with frayed cuffs, scuffed shoes, and dirty jeans could be called sloppy.

Hope this helps! Sorry I can �t help with stroppy.

3 Dec 2010     

Vernica
Belgium

WOW that was so enlightening!!!!
Thanks a lot

3 Dec 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

(1)  Corny when someone says a joke or statement that is so predictable.

(2)  Stroppy you say this to a person who is moody, and moves around with a chip on their shoulder.

(3) Grubby when someone has dirty clothes or dirty skin

(4) Sloppy when someone does bad work or the work isn�t good, sloppy work.

(5) extra Crabby when someone wakes up in the morning and  is moody.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink. Hope these help you understand more.

3 Dec 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I know so many millions adored "Titanic" but I found it rather corny (or cheesy), particularly the script. (poor quality, overly sentimental, twee (love that word!!) )
My hubby gets quite stroppy when he hasn �t had anything to eat for a while. (bad-tempered and rude!) (possibly comes from "obstreperous" - now ain �t that a word!)
I don �t eat in grubby restaurants. I don �t mind basic but I want clean! My little boy �s coat is always pretty grubby at the end of the school day after playing in the sandy playground.
There was nothing sloppy about the way Barca Football Club played the other day! (sorry RM fans! ; )  I find it frustrating when students make sloppy mistakes in their compositions. I know that if they took the time to review their work (were more diligent) then they would do far better.
One of my best friends is very crabby in the morning so it �s best to leave her in peace. Don �t bug her at all. She gets annoyed at the slightest thing.

Any help?

3 Dec 2010