Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > letter formation    

letter formation

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

letter formation

i have a question i am making gif images to show my kids how to form the letters but i found this font that says that the w is form by four strokes but i wasn �t taught it like this, instead i was taught starting in number one going down, up, down, and up with one single stroke. my questions is if this  font is correct? do you teach it with 4 strokes?  

5 Dec 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That �s right: down up down up. That seems logical and takes less time to write.
Now that I�ve looked it up the only way to write it that I have found is with 4 strokes like the one you mentioned.Confused
Now I did find what we were talking about it has a poor preview but still just for info here and BTW it was classified as special educationConfused
Sophia

5 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Where did you find this fabulous gif, Liz?

5 Dec 2010     

ellakass
Israel

Yes,Liz! Where did you find the animated letters? So nice to use them in class...

5 Dec 2010     

mariannina
Italy

I teach the "up-down up-down W" to children who are not very good in writing because they havent control on their basic motor skills. After a while they improve their skill and then they can write "up-down-up-down" W. This is my personal method, it �s not a "scientific" one!
Ciao

5 Dec 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

I am making them in GIMP
thanks to all... maria i think you are right, it make sense to teach kids that have trouble to pause between strokes

5 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Wooooow!Big smile

5 Dec 2010     

class centre
Belarus

I teach all the letters to be written up-down up-down. It organizes the sts and teaches them to follow the rules in general. It �s not my personal aproach, it �s the system I use. 

5 Dec 2010     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

5 Dec 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

victoria.. that site teaches the w as i do it but the m is taugh with 4 strokes

@blunderbuster and ella.... i will make a ppt with the alphabet gifs  and another one with the numbers  as soon as i finish them. so you will probably be able to download them from here (depending on the final size) or my blog if you are interested.  

5 Dec 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Wow.

I would never teach the letters starting from the bottom. In the UK and in NZ we teach starting from the top and going down. The T for example, you start at the top and do the line downwards, then go back to the top for the line at the top.

The same for every letter that has a vertical stroke. Down first....

Those people that have written UP first... are you sure????

5 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >