Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FCE email writing paper    

FCE email writing paper

aliciapc
Uruguay

FCE email writing paper

Hello , I hope someone can help me here ... I can �t understand (from samples I �ve seen) whether the email sts should write in the writing paper of the FCE exam, can take the "Dear Sir/Madam" or just start the email without a greeting ! I �ve checked samples in different books and have seen both : with or without it ... Can you make this clear for me ? Thanks a lot ! 

5 Dec 2010      

sulekra
Australia

You should include the greeting (salutation).

The structure of the writing is just as important as what the students write. A report should have a report layout, an essay and essay layout, and the same applies for a letter/email. So Dear Sir/Madam, To whom it may concern, etc for formal emails, G �day Jeff, Hi Natalie, etc for informal, are all appropriate ways to start. I teach all my students taking any of the ESOL exams to write as if it were a real letter/email and include both.

The examples in the Handbook For Teachers from Cambridge include the salutation and valediction to finish, so that �s what I �d go by, regardless of what other textbooks include.

5 Dec 2010