Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WORD OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY 8/12/2010    

WORD OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY 8/12/2010

magneto
Greece

WORD OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY 8/12/2010

*trumpet* Hear ye! Hear ye!

Word of the Day for Wednesday 8th December 2010:

*drums*

codswallop

You know the rules of the competition. Don�t look it up, don�t google it, and if you know what it means, either keep the knowledge to yourself or join in and give us the craziest and funniest meaning.  The winner is declared at midnight Spanish time.

Good luck and may the nuttiest definition win!Beer

8 Dec 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

CODSWALLOP
the last dance step of the Monty Pyhton fish slapping dance

8 Dec 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

What �s scaring me is that the words being chosen lately used to be common in my language 20 or 30 years ago and now they are considered unusual. Am I getting old?

8 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Aren �t we all, Joy?...
C �mon, now! Join us...Give us your own daffynitionSmile

8 Dec 2010     

imanito
Morocco

Codswallop: from Greek (codswallopus) : a type of fish that swallows cods.

8 Dec 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Magneto, Hi all,
OK... Let �s face it : Feeling very old too! ;o)))
Do cods wallop ? - � Yes, they do! � As violent as they can be ...Disapprove
BTW, Magneto, it �s NOT a word : It �s a sentence! Please read : Cods wallop.
( Please hear Jaws � soundtrack...)
SylvieWink

8 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Ok, people...We have three really good entries in the competition so far...
Join in! Give it your best shot! Make my decision even harder!Big smile

8 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

It �s a dish: an escalope prepared of a cod swallower (a big carnivore fish that feeds on cods).

Dead

8 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Corporal punishment is still very much alive in Asia. Beating, caning, spanking are some of the more popular ones. Caning is often done with a rattan stick and boy does that hurt. 

There has been some protest against this practice, so recently the cane has been replaced by a more supple instrument, namely a fish, a dried haddock to be exact. This makes the walloping less painful. 

Linguistically it was very difficult to pronounce - think of magistrates pronouncing �you are sentenced to 20 dried-haddockswallops �, so the haddock �s cousin, the cod, was brought in to give some relief. I still wouldn �t want to be sentenced to 50 codswallops though.

8 Dec 2010     

stexstme
France

@Philip, LOLLOLWhere did you ............ find that picture ??????? ( That �s what we usually do at my school, but we �re not allowed to post pupils � photos...)

BTW, codswallops have been efficient - so far ........Pupils are getting better & better - Cod knows why!!Atchoo...

8 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

LOL LOLYou people rock!

I �ll check back on the thread again later. Got to go now!

Keep up the naughty spirit!Thumbs Up

8 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >