Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > weird question    

weird question

GIOVANNI
Canada

I really can �t understand the concept of throwing food away when there are so many people that are starving, that is a sacrilege.
Here we have many stores that give their food away instead of throwing it away when it �s near expiration.   Food is collected from various businesses and distributed out to the needy.   We also have food banks for people who can �t afford to feed their families.

I have also seen some grocery stores reduce the price by 50 per cent on items that expire the same day.  May people buy these items because they can �t afford regular prices.
North America is not the land of the rich, but is also the land of the poor.  There are many famillies that are starving and don �t even have food to feed their chilldren.  At some of our schools we have free breakfast for some kids.

8 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

In Australia it is also against the law to now sell expired food so the shops sell it very cheap when it gets close to the expiry date.

A lot of food is donated to worthy causes and there is a special website here where people can check out the organisations in their state that accept leftover food.

My local organisation is Foodbank.  They do a tremendous job.  Shops/factories bring their left over food there and welfare organisations can collect their food from there.  More than 450 charities use Foodbank and more than a million kg of food is distributed each year.  On top of that, Foodbank is staffed by volunteers who do a marvellous job.

9 Dec 2010     

Homeless Turtle
United States

I remember all those welfare Christmases. It �s instilled in me a survival mentality that is a large part of who I am today (being Homeless and all.) I remember Mom making Christmas dinner miracles out of food stamps and shopping for presents at the "Goodwill" thrift store. I am grateful for how far we have come since then, but I will never forget the lessons which I learned. I always try to return the kindness which was shown to me and my family. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas!

9 Dec 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

This topic reminded me of some stories about wasted food in the United States. Have you heard of Freegans or Dumster Diving?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOEF75VwAtY

Some grocery stores and bakeries around here sell bread and cookies that are a day old.

9 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

There was a story in Australia about a new fad.... Dumpster Diving.  It is estimated that millions of dollars of food are now being thrown away out of "fear of lawsuits"  In America where I lived they installed crushers that are connected into the building so people could not even dumpster dive anymore.  It is also a criminial offense and can get you arrested.

A) Hey man why you in jail?
B) I robbed a guy for his money.  Why are you in?
A) I was dumpster diving to feed my kids.
B) Man that �s harsh, you should of robbed someone and it is safer now a days with those crushers.  I saw a WWII vet dumpster diving he lost his legs by the machine.

9 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2