Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Proverb    

Proverb

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Proverb

Do you know any other proverb meaning "mind your own business" apart from "let the cobbler stick to his last"?
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

9 Dec 2010      

youness
Jordan

You lost a sheep that you made a wolf its guardian, didn �t you know that the wolf is a thief?

9 Dec 2010     

swissprof
Switzerland

A wigwam for a goose �s bridle is a phrase, once popular in Australia, meaning "none of your business". A common usage is in response to an inquiry such as Q. "What are you making?", A. "A wigwam for a goose �s bridle".[1] The rejoinder was a code for "Mind your own business" and children acquired this pragmatic knowledge after repeated discourse with their parents ended with this response.[2] It was a common family saying.[3]

The phrase was also in use in New Zealand[4] and more generally by English speakers, for example in an 1836 magazine article referring to Calcutta and an exchange with a sailor.[5]

Originally, the phrase was "a whim-wham for a goose�s bridle", with "whim-wham" a word meaning "a fanciful or fantastic object". The phrase was deliberately absurd as a goose would never wear a bridle. Folk etymology converted the word "whim-wham"�a word that was no longer much used�to "wigwam", an Ojibwa word for a domed single-room dwelling used by Native Americans. This change retained the phrase �s absurd meaning and sense.[6]

The phrase is believed to be less popular than it once was.[7]

9 Dec 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Yolanda

I haven�t heard of the above two but one that immediately comes to mind is related to the nose (and there�s numerous forms of it)

keep your nose out of it
don�t stick your nose into it

There�s also mind your own beeswax but it is not as common as the nose ones.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Dec 2010     

Zora
Canada

How about "let sleeping dogs lie..." ?

9 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

What about � �Don �t make use of another �s mouth unless it has been leant to you. � �

9 Dec 2010     

Homeless Turtle
United States

My personal favorite:

"Get your straw out of my kool aid"

My older sister used to tell me that when we were growing up. It �s usually only used in the southern U.S. But I like it so much, I �m sharing it with the world. Feel free to abuse it with reckless abandon!

10 Dec 2010     

dturner
Canada

We would simply say, "Mind your own bees wax."  I am not sure the origin of this one, but my feeling is that it is simply based on �business � and may sound more polite.  

10 Dec 2010     

SueThom
United States

My contribution to this is "to make meddlers ask questions".  This was not an uncommon response when I was growing up and would ask my mother or grandmother why they were doing something (or even just "why?").

10 Dec 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Gosh Yolanda, I �ve never heard that cobbler one! Is it really a proverb you �re looking for or just another expression? If so, a lot of people say "don �t poke your nose where it doesn �t belong" but it �s kind of brusque. "Mind your own beeswax" is a nice soft way of telling somebody not to pry or meddle.

HTH

Colibrita

10 Dec 2010