Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Could you help me, please ?     

Could you help me, please ?

renko6
Poland

Could you help me, please ?

Hi,
I have a doubt and could you help me to solve my problem ?

In my country we teach :
- BAUBLE  (I know it �s British English)

but some teachers from my school teach :

- BALL  (but for me it �s a round object that is used in games such as football)
or
- BULB (but I know it �s a glass part of an electric lamp, which gives out light when electricity passes through it )
I know that some Spanish teachers use the word BULB. 

Could you explain me, is it correct to use BALL or BULB ?
Is it an American English ?

Thanks for your help !

Hugs,
Renia Wink

10 Dec 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

Renia, in American English, we would call that picture an ornament. You could use ball to describe the shape of that particular ornament, but we reserve bulbs for the lights, or ornaments that look like Christmas lights.

Does that answer your question?

10 Dec 2010     

renko6
Poland

Yes and thanks for your quick response.

I found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauble

that  CHRISTMAS BAUBLE (BrE) and CHRISTMAS BALL (AmE) but I can �t find BULB uses as the ornament, I know it �s for light.

I would like to know is it correct to use BULB, because in some worksheets  (from Spanish teachers) they use this word and I �m not sure is it correct  .
I want to use their worksheets in my class but is a BULB correct or I have to change it into BAUBLE or BALL .

10 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Christmas ornament., but ornament can also be used to describe other decorations. A bulb..would be Christmas light.

10 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=24849

10 Dec 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would not use bulb for this Christmas decoration.
Bulbs on the tree would make me think of the lights.

I would say �I decorated my tree with tinsel, balls and other ornaments. �

�I need to buy some Christmas tree balls."

Although these balls could be described as baubles, that word isn �t used much here in Australia to describe Christmas decorations.

10 Dec 2010     

dturner
Canada

As a Canadian, I would use bauble.  I also use decoration, but to me, decoration could be anything you put up for Christmas.  I prefer bauble.  I would never  use ball.  And, bulb as cited previously is only used for lights.  And even then, I �d use a string of lights, or a light string, or simply Christmas lights.  A bulb is one light.  

10 Dec 2010     

renko6
Poland

Thanks a lot for your all explanations, I �ve learnt a lot.  Now I �m sure that I should correct the worksheets with the word BULB (because as I thought it �s only for light).
It was very interesting to know which word  is used in the real life.
The information given by native speakers is really valuable
and thanks for your help Thumbs Up

Hug

- MoodyMoody
- edrodmedina
- aliciapc
- Apodo (Marion)
- dturner

You are the best !!!  Clap

Good night or good morning ! LOL For me it �s the middle of the night so have nice dreams!

Renia Wink

10 Dec 2010