Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Students or pupils?    

Students or pupils?

ukonka
Russian Federation

Students or pupils?

Hello, dear friends!
Could you please tell me how you call your children  - students or pupils?
I �m from Russia, and many teachers here use the word "pupils". But on this site I very often meet "students", even for those who are 1-st and 2-nd grades. Smile is there any difference at all?
Thanks in advance.

11 Dec 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I think it �s different from country  to country.

In the USA we were called pupils in the younger classes and students
in the higher grades.
In Europe - a student is one who goes to High School (gymnasium)
usually for 3 years.
But both are defined as a person who goes to school and is a learner.

Perhaps more here will give another definition.

11 Dec 2010     

miss K.
Ukraine

In USA all schoolchildren are called �students �. Other students are called "college students" or respectively to where they study. In britain kids under approx 13 are called pupils but then they prefere to be called students. God this info from authentic speakers. In our part of the world a form of British English is more popular.

11 Dec 2010     

douglas
United States

I �ve always used students for all levels and they did at my schools in California too.

11 Dec 2010     

class centre
Belarus

I call them " young people"Wink

11 Dec 2010     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi,

The difference is that pupil is for kids at basic stage, but students is for higher level students.

Hope I added something useful!Smile

Yours

11 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I think that pupil is used more in USA  but student is used more in Britain.

11 Dec 2010     

korodi4
Hungary

Hi Ukonka,

I found this explanation in an Oxford dictionary I really trust. Hope the explanation is useful.

1 (especially British English, becoming old-fashioned) a person who is being taught, especially a child in a schoolHow many pupils does the school have?She now teaches only private pupils
.2 a person who is taught artistic, musical, etc. skills by an expertThe painting is by a pupil of Rembrandt.

11 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

good question Alexandra!

I think the word pupil is still used by Brits, but in many countries has been ousted by Student.

in American English (especially) Student refers to anyone who is attending an educational institution or attending classes of any kind. 

As for pupil, it is generally used when someone is the pupil of someone else, e.g. "I am the pupil of Bon Jovi"

But if we follow the rules,

Pupil: very young child who are attending school (generally less than 17) or are taught by a private teacher.

Student: Someone who has finished school and is studying at university or collage.

Hug
Alex Carr

11 Dec 2010     

ukonka
Russian Federation

Thanks for your answers, dear colleagues, you really helped me! Handshake

13 Dec 2010