Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > word of the Day for monday 13th December    

word of the Day for monday 13th December

reeta1
Canada

The term bobbish refers to the British policemen, or bobbies, as they �re called. When tourists see them in their uniforms with their batons and their black hats, they refer to the style as bobbish.

13 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

We do learn on this site!!LOL
Giovanni : never heard about Bob Vinton but he is really worth knowing! He does look Bobbish!

13 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

In many senses (our non-senses, anyway) of the word, Marieth� House!

13 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

My friends...Much like Spanish is from Spain and  Yiddish is from uummm Yid, that �s right Yid,
Bobbish is the official language of Boblandia.

13 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

In business English:

- So, how was the yesterday meeting?
-  As usual, bobbish (boring but badly important issues have to be discussed) and stuff.

Wacko

13 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Another suggestion, I thought of, comes from Russian. In Russia "Bobik" is the most common and frequently used dog name (for mixed breed dog), it has even become a common noun, for ex. "My bobiks (dogs) must be hungry. I �ll better go home and feed them..."

Therefore, "bobbish" might be an euphemism for "dog �s shit", as in "I always pick up bobbish while walking my dog."

13 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

May I come up with another idea? I hope, you don �t mind...

Well, "bobbish" is a verb, that stands for "Beware of bad big shit". For example, when you warn smb: "Don �t forget to bobbish when you �re doing business with him."

13 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2