Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Advice, please    

Advice, please

mari3lla
Italy

Advice, please

I need your advice, please! Do you think it �s a good thing to encourage good students with a thank you quote or something like that? I ll really appreciate your
opinions. Thanks from Italy!

13 Dec 2010      

magneto
Greece

Yes, I think it is a good thing.
However, I also think it �s a good thing to encourage weaker students like this when they make an effort, even if that effort is not successful.

13 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Magneto is right, as much as good performance, effort should also be rewarded!

13 Dec 2010     

mari3lla
Italy

thank you dear, I agree with you. I �d like to write a few words to each of my students together with my Christmas wishes: But what could I write to the ones that make me crazy???

13 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

How about something humoursly suggesting they should try harder? You could make your point and still sound encouraging and unbiased.

13 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I find that the students who are not the best but show a great progress to be the most rewarding ones.

It is really important NOT to differentiate in this way.

I try and bring the bottom of the class up - it makes teaching much easier.
Those who feel dumb - end up creating noise and disruption.

Everyone needs encouragement - so try and praise them all.

13 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I have the luxury of not giving grades. So, I put "Perfect," "Excellent," "Very Good," "Good Job/Work," or "Good Try!" And even adults like getting stickers if the stickers aren �t too childish (i.e., scrapbook stickers instead of the cheesy reward stickers). You could probably use stamps for a cheaper way to go, also.

And don �t forget the classic 101 Phrases of Praise 

13 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I hand on congratulations messages to my students for many kinds of behaviors.

I encourage:

- good behavior
-good participation
- taking risks
-good use of resources.
- helping another student in the classroom
- neat work
- contribution to teamwork
- no use of L1.

I have a certificate printed and ready to use. All I have to do is check what was done right, put a special sticker on it and give to the student to show to their parents. It makes a world of difference to some kids. They might not be "strong students" but at least what they is acknowledged.

13 Dec 2010     

chalco
France

I use stickers to reward my students ... of course some say "Amazing work" "Perfect" and so on but others say " or  or .

13 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

There are reward ws for you to check out, mari3lla ! Just use the search engine!

13 Dec 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I encourage all my students good ones and not so good ones yet, it makes they feel proud of themselves.

13 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >