Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Funny Sayings Part 2    

Funny Sayings Part 2

Zora
Canada

Funny Sayings Part 2

Since I am guessing that most of us here were not born in elevators, tents or barns and we know sockets from pig�s snouts (or at least I hope, we do! lol) ! Wink  I am going to continue the very interesting thread about sayings that we each have in our own countries...

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=25031&page=1

Linda

13 Dec 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Good idea, Linda ! I had to leave so I missed Stella �s post - btw Stella, never heard of hocico de chancho ... in this country! It �s new for me!
I remembered another one : "If you play with fire you may get burnt", about someone doing something risky, repeatedly ...

13 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

my dad used to say: you just don �t forget your head because it �s stuck on your neck.
my mom �s favorite was: are you a partner of the electricity "Edison" company? we used to leave all rooms with the light on..

13 Dec 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Speaking of heads, there �s a saying which they usually mention at the weddings: the man is the head of the family and the woman is the neck, so the head will only turn when the neck allows it to turn. So true about some families.
SophiaSmile

13 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

OMG @gloriawpai...My mom would say "Que pasa? Son hijos de Con Edison? What �s going on? Are you sons of Con Edison? (the electric company in New York) for the same reason.

13 Dec 2010     

mariannina
Italy

My mother, too, used to say: Are you an employee of ENEL (the Italian electric company)!

13 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

�Mony a mickle maks a muckle � was what my old granny used to say. She was a devil for putting ha �pennies (and farthings and other assorted bawbees, native and foreign, if she found them) into jars.

�Mickle � and �muckle � both refer to size. The bland standard English version of the expression is something along the lines of �every little helps �.

13 Dec 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

"A good housewife would jump over the fence for a single feather."
"If one steps upon a crumb, the souls in purgatory weep."
"Whoever does not come out even with his bread will not come out even with people."

(this dates back to the time when the pillows and blankets were filled with feathers...)
It is the best known quotation from the book "The Grandmother" by a famous Czech writer Bo�ena Němcov�.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo%C5%BEena_N%C4%9Bmcov%C3%A1

...Whenever Grandmother baked bread, the children had a feast. For each one she baked a little loaf filled with plum or apple sauce; this had never been done before. They, however, had to learn to take care of the crumbs. "The crumbs belong to the fire," she used to say as she brushed them up and threw them into the stove. If one of the children dropped a bit of bread, she made him pick it up, saying "Don�t you know that if one steps upon a crumb, the souls in purgatory weep?" She did not like to see bread cut uneven, for she used to say: "Whoever does not come out even with his bread will not come out even with people."

13 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

More sayings:

I need that like a hole in the head!

When hell freezes over.

Like selling sand in the Sarhara!

13 Dec 2010     

Stellam
Argentina

�Al que nace barrig�n, es al �udo que lo fajen�

If you�re born with a fat belly, you�ll never change by squeezing it in

From Mart�n Fierro  by Jos� Hern�ndez

http://sparrowthorn.com/MartinFierro_PART_TWO.pdf

�People who don�t know how to save things

Stay poor even though they work.

However they dodge, they�ll never escape

That back-lash poverty brings,

If you�re born with a fat belly,

You�ll never change by squeezing it in.�

14 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Some of the kids at school would say �friends are like ballons if you let them go they will come back�.

14 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >