Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading shock    

Reading shock

IrenFishka503
Ukraine

Reading shock

Dear FRIENDS! Could you help me, please? Wink

I have the youngest pupils (1- 4 classes) this year! My students usually read a new text one by one (sentence by sentence).

But another teacher of my school says that only 2-3 students must read the whole text because the text is an integrity!

The problem is that there are 27 students in my class and it will be really difficult for them just to listen without reading!!! The students will not be active and attentive in that case! Shocked

So how do you think: IS SHE RIGHT?????
How do your students read the texts???
THANKS A LOT!!!!! WAITING for your replies!!!! Tongue

14 Dec 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

Dear IrenFishka,
In my opinion, all the students should read out loud in your class. At least that �s what I do with my students. They read aloud, I correct the mistakes on pronunciation and intonation. and after that, all of them read the text again in silence to understand the meaning of it. And at that point is when we start working on the text.
What do other teachers here normally do?
Chus.

14 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Why would there be only one way of working a text with students? Sometimes, I read to them first, sometimes it �s the other way around. Sometimes they have different texts on the same subject.

14 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

It is not imortant to let sts read in each class. It is better to specifiy a different group to read in different classes in which you can make them all read during the week.

14 Dec 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Try to divide them into two groups. The first pupil in the first group starts reading and goes on until he/she makes a mistake. Then the first pupil in the other group starts reading. After he/she makes a mistake the second pupil in the first group continues reading the text starting with the sentence were the mistake was made. The group, that first finishes the whole text is the winner. Or, if the text is short, which group manages to read it more times. I am not sure, if the explanation is clear and let�s also admit, it isn�t very pedagogical to wait for a mistake, but it really works and all children pay attention.

14 Dec 2010     

AHHA
Belarus

If the text is a dialogue, students can read it in pairs, and the teacher can walk along the class and control them. You may also ask them to read the text in different voices (like a mouse, a lion, etc.). I also practise shared reading, when girls read one role, boys the other. It takes quite a lot of time and efforts to organize them, but once they get used to it - there �s no problem. I �ve taken these ideas from our Teacher �s Book to the course "Magic Box". PM me if you �d like to have it.

14 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Iren, different teachers and students have different ways of doing things. If what you have been doing works for you and for the students, keep doing it! Listen to other ideas and try them if they appeal to you, but unless the other teacher is your boss, you don �t have to do it her/his way. Many times there is no one "correct" way to do something.

14 Dec 2010     

spacewisdom
South Africa

Hi Iren,
I think you can provide enough time for all the pupils to read if you devide them into groups of three or four and let them listen to one another and correct their mistakes by themselves . you can turn around to check if they need help and finally you read the text and practise a shadowing activity to make sure pupils don �t learn words with a wrong pronunciation
hope it works :)

14 Dec 2010     

EiriniK
Greece

Dear Iren,

Speaking from my own experience, I find that it gives most students pleasure to read out loud in class. What I do, is divide the text into smaller paragraphs and have all students read one.
However, my average class consists of 10 students. To have 27 students read the whole text would obviously be time consuming.
You could also divide the text in to paragraphs and then have the students draw numbers which will relate to the number of paragraphs you have divided the text in to. Have some students read and then have a different group translate. Make a note of who got to read and make sure to pick different students on another day. 

15 Dec 2010     

mariamit
Greece

Dear Iren,  Each class is different. If what you �ve been doing works for both you and your students keep on in the same manner. If, on the other hand you are dissatisfied for any reason try something else.   I work with 7-9 grade students but when I taught young ones I divided the texts into paragraph and they each read one paragraph. We often read the text twice so they all got a chance. Since you have 27 maybe you can keep a record of who has read and during the next reading lesson give the others a chance.  Still it�s up to you. You are the teacher of the class.  Try the other suggestions if you have the need to change but remember you�ll know what�s right for you and your class. Don�t allow others to make you doubt yourself.

Good luck

15 Dec 2010