Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Help....help....Help    

Help....help....Help

disy81
Costa Rica

Help....help....Help

Hi everybody....I actually have a really common problem among teachers. You�ll see.  Until recently i was working only with adults but this year I worked with teenagers. But the adjustment was difficult because of my personality. I am usually sweet and not very good with discipline. but teenagers are kind of difficult and they need some kind of disciplince.  I don�t want a extrict, not breathing environment in my classroom... but how can i get a balance?..

PLEASE some support and advice would be nice...
Thanks

7 Dec 2008      

eng789
Israel

My sister-in-law who is a teacher in Canada says, "Don�t smile for the first 3 months."  I�m not that strong.

7 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

I don�t think it�s a question of being strict; I think it�s a question of building up and having
respect from the class.

My kids know that I know better.....(I would hope so!!)

I choose interesting subjects that they like, I vary the way I teach
by using books, films, interviews, group work, pair work, essays, games,
songs, what ever works.

I praise them when they do a good job and say that I expect more from them
if they don�t do as well as they could.

I never "talk down" to them. I show them respect and ask their opinions.
I listen to them and never ignore a question.
Even though I keep them busy, they know I like them, and believe me,
that means a lot.

In the end, they know that I want the very best for them, because a good
education opens a lot of doors in the future for them.

Hope this helps.
L

7 Dec 2008     

cgato
Portugal

Hello
I totally agree with libertybelle, and the way she deals with her students. I try to do the same and it usually works.
I�ve always worked with teens and I believe that the key to a good and respectful relationship is that they feel you really like what you do. One of my students told me,some years ago, that the class liked and respected me simply because they felt I enjoyed being in class with them, teaching ,and I was concerned about them, their results and sometimes their problems.
However, I admit I�m not very nice during first classes. I don�t smile a lot and I take measures if someone crosses the line. But the way I act has been changed and adapted by experience.
So don�t worry. If you like being a teacher, you are competent, professional and you care about your students, they will feel it and you won�t have problems!Wink
Good luck!
Big hug from PortugalHug

7 Dec 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Disy
I think the most important has already been said. It is very important your students feel you really care and love them.
However, even so, sometimes things begin to go wrong and it seems difficult to stop the mess.
A few months ago I downloaded a printable, here, in ESL, but I can�t find the link, now; anyway, it proved to be valuable and I can explain you the idea.
It is just a set of two " behaviour cards", in this case the aim was that students didn�t use their own language, but only English; if they break the rule, they get a "punishment" - for instance, extra homework, or extra work during the break, or anything you may find suitable.
The first time someone breaks the rule I give that student one of the cards. The second student who breaks the rules receives the second card.
BUT THIS IS NOT THE END OF THIS MERRY GO ROUND, because I don�t have any more cards, so if a third students misbehaves, he gets the card from the first student who, in the situation, gets free from the "punishment".
It really works, because when a student gets a card he remains very quiet, expecting that someone else makes a mistake and set him/her free.
If you want I can email you the printable I downloaded here; though I can not give the credits, I think that the spirit here is sharing, so the teacher who had this brilliant idea will probably be happy his/her work is being appreciated. May be he reads this post and can answer you, too.

8 Dec 2008     

campbelldavidson
Japan

Hello, I have just uploaded a file on classroom management..... These techniques seem to work for me....

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=149226#thetop

Cheers

16 Dec 2008