Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day!    

Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day!

Thank you, Chud, for selecting me as winner of Word of the Day. Colposinquanonia is something we ladies just have to live with, because so many men "suffer" from it.

So on to the new word. You know the rules: no real definitions, and be as creative, witty, humorous, crude, or otherwise unforgettable as possible. I will judge December 17 at about 7:00 EST (I think that �s midnight Spain time).

The new word of the day is xerostomia. Go to it, everyone!

16 Dec 2010      

reeta1
Canada

xerostomia--the fear of photocopying (xeroxing). I feel a shiver go up my spine every time I try to use the risograph at school.

16 Dec 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

This is a really bad disease. It is a fear of copy-machines from the company Xeror.
It is quite a rare disorder, the highest number of patients are secretaries.

PS: WOW reeta1 -  we had the very same idea!

16 Dec 2010     

reeta1
Canada

ah, brilliant minds think alike!Big smile

16 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

xerostomia is the photocopying of ones stomach as opposed to xerosasia which is the photocopying of ones aspirations. ;-)

17 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ok, you obviously need to be Dutch to really understand this...
Both a certain familiarity with the broad mindedness of the Dutch as well as the Dutch language is required to really understand this term.
This is the Dutch (late night) version of America �s funniest homevideos
X = short for X-rated
eros = does this really need explanation?
stom = Dutch for �stupid �
ia = indicates a collection of sorts

So, as is abundantly clear now, it is a program which offers �bloopers � from erotic movies, things like the bed breaking, the leading lady bursting out laughing as her partner undresses and gas escaping at inopportune moments... you get the idea. It is aired after the very popular "stom-stommer-stomst" (stupid-stupider-stupidest) which offers simply funny videos, more appropriate for the entire family. The name xerostomia is purposefully unclear to avoid akward questions from the kids searching the tv-guide for teletubbies screening times...

(I actually know the term, it is a well-known side effect of one of the other things Holland is �famous �  for... :)

17 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

@ marion You mean tulips???

17 Dec 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

AAH Right, we�re famous for tulips as well...of course I meant tulips, what else could I possible have meant? Wink

17 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Weed?

17 Dec 2010     

morbeyaz
Turkey

hi everybody i m a new user i run out of points:( Can anyone help me gaining some points to download some worksheet for my students.thx a lot�

17 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

@Marion = r u sure you r just a teacher? (you are so funny) I couldn �t help, but  I �m laughing my head off!

17 Dec 2010     

1    2    3    Next >