Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > turrón blando    

turrón blando

edrodmedina
United States

"Turron de Alicante" (hard nougat)

Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo Rosemary Honey
  • 500 gms sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1,500 gms almonds, heated up in oven
  • 1 lemon
  • Slowly heat the honey in a saucepan until all the water that it contains has evaporated.
  • Add the sugar and mix with a wooden spatula
  • Beat the egg white until stiff and then add to the mixture.
  • Stir briskly with the spatula for eight to ten minutes then stir slowly over a low flame until it begins to caramelise (turn brown)
  • Put the hot almonds into the honey mixture with the rind of the lemon
  • Mix well and let cook slowly for a few minutes taking care it does not stick
  • The mixture is then poured into wooden moulds lined with rice paper

After two and a half hours, the turron is cut. When it is completely cold, the slices are stored in an airtight container

17 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

This is the Italian version of Torrone

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. honey
1 c. light corn syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. blanched hazelnuts , lightly toasted
9 oz. blanched whole almonds , lightly toasted
large wafer sheets

Preparation:Whip the egg whites till stiffened.
  1. Combine sugar, honey, corn syrup, salt, and water in a saucepan. Continue cooking over medium heat until a candy thermometer temperature registers 260 degrees F.
  2. Slowly pour in a thin stream into egg whites, while the mixer is running.
  3. Add vanilla and butter, beating until thickened again. With wooden spoon, stir in toasted nuts.
  4. Pour into a square baking tin lined with a sheet of wafer . Top with another wafer, cover with a wooden board, and weight the board down. Let stand for 30 minutes.

17 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Stop all that food talk!Nuke

You ´re making me hungry and I ´ve already gained weight!

Here I am...

17 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Thanks for the recipes!

17 Dec 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Christmas nougat is maybe the most adequate expression .In Portuguese we calll it "torrão mole" e torrão duro".There are several londs of torrão, namely:"polvorones", a kind of pastry covered with wheat flour", torrão com gema de ovo", which is christmas nougat with the yellow part of the egg, "torrão de alicante".
Hope this helps...

17 Dec 2010     

coyote.chus
Spain

I wouldn ´t translate it, since that dessert doesn ´t really exist in any other country. We can find similar things, but not the same. And I wouldn ´t translate "chorizo" or "churros". When we talk about typical English food (or from any other countries) we don ´t translate them. We say "pie" referring to the English one, or "crêpes" referring to the delicious French dessert.

17 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

magneto, New Year ´s Day is just around the corner. I don ´t know about Greece, but here in the USA, it is traditional to make resolutions to do better in the next year. One of the most common is to lose weight. So, to have a southern American New Year ´s Day, make a resolution to lose weight, and eat ham hocks, black-eyed peas, and greens for dinner. (The greens are usually collards or turnip greens, but any greens will do.) The ham represents prosperity. the black-eyed peas symbolize coins, and the greens stand for dollars.

Yummy and mostly healthy at the same time.

17 Dec 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Nothing even remotely similar exists in the UK.

Peanut brittle is something similar to turron duro, but made of peanuts not almonds obviously.

At Christmas, we eat Christmas cake, mince pies (mmm)  and chocolates.

17 Dec 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I don ´t know about some other countries in South America but here we eat turrón, lechón - which is basically pork - nuts, chocolate and cream desserts and things like that! Can you imagine, eating such things with over 30ºC ?? I don ´t usually do, I ´d rather prepare salads and barbecue, icecream , more like summer! But not that kind of delicious Christmassy food, which is ideal for winter time  -  pure calories!

17 Dec 2010     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

The recipe I gave my students this morning can ´t be easier and I have tried it at lunch with a group of friends. Absolutely delicious.

You need 1/2 kilo  of whip cream (it has to be hard, do it with the electric mixer)
A bar of soft turrón heated in a saucepan with a little milk to make it softer. You mix both things together once the turrón  is cold and put the mixture in the freezer for four hours. If you want (most would) to make a hot chocolate sauce, just put some cream or milk with dark chocolate in the microwave oven at a very low temperature so that the chocolate doesn ´t taste sour.
I hope you will try and like it,  mmmm, yummy!!
Yolanda

17 Dec 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >