Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me    

help me

napster
Costa Rica

help me

hi guys help me, the term "social studies proffesor" . Can I use this term to call the professor ,who teaches little bit of history,geography, and more.

21 Dec 2010      

zoemorosini
United States

"Social studies" is a term usually used in middle school in the USA, basically for teachers of students ages 11-14.  My 12-year-old studies social studies in 6th grade.

In high school and college the term used is History professor, or Geography/History professor.

21 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I had a social studies teacher in High School.
We learned mostly about current events - things that were going on at the moment.

But the Wikipedia says the following:

At the elementary school level, social studies generally focuses first on the local community and family. By middle and high school, the social studies curriculum becomes more discipline-based and content-specific. It includes various fields which involve past and current human behavior and interactions, such as sociology, history, political science, economics, religion, geography, psychology, anthropology, and civics.

In Europe, a person has to have a pretty high degree to be called a professor.
Otherwise we call them teachers.

21 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

In many Spanish speaking countries the word "profesor" is used to mean teacher (remember profe55 from Argentina?). In the States professor is used in schools of higher learning (colleges and universities). So in a way it can be a false cognate.

21 Dec 2010     

libertybelle
United States

edrodmedina - and to teach higher education - you need a higher degree.

21 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Yes Libertybelle of course.

21 Dec 2010     

jessicars
United States

Hi all,
I am a Social Studies teacher - at the high schoool level, and for the most part the Wikipedia entry is correct although slightly out-of-date since at the elementary level, at least in Maryland, the curriculum is broadly "me and my world." This includes everything from state and national history and current events to the study of ancient and/or foreign cultures.

Masters and Phd.s at the elementary and secondary level are usually - M.Ed. or Phd.Ed while those at the college or university level are usually in a specific discipline with an even more targeted area of reseach. In the school where I teach, except for those on staff that have less than 5 years of teaching, about 8, all have a Master �s or 45 graduate hours. Nine have Phd.s with 3 more working towards it. The teaching staff numbers about 150.

I hope this doesn �t sound too much like a lecture......but then again I �m a teacher

21 Dec 2010     

nandar,sp
Saudi Arabia

wow all arguments sounds good, but I can decide ,yet :-o

21 Dec 2010     

nandar,sp
Saudi Arabia

napster, it depends on country �s customs

21 Dec 2010