Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Any Amusing Xmas Games?     

Any Amusing Xmas Games?

lili79
Czech Republic

Any Amusing Xmas Games?

Hello, everybody...

I am spending a whole day with my class tomorrow as it is the last day of school before Xmas. My kids, 14 yo, have decided to play some games. I was wondering if you know any good and funny or interesting or... games that you play around xmas time. Or even during the whole year. It really doesnt matter, it can be language game as well, as long as it also amuses the kids....

Well, anyway, I also would like to thank you all for making this site. It�s been my favorite ESL source since I clicked into here.�

I wish you all xmas full of love in your herats and smile on your faces...and whatever else you wish for :-)

Lili

21 Dec 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

A take on "pin the tail on the donkey" since it �s kind of difficult to find tailess donkeys these days, is pin the nose on Santa. Make a large cut out of Santa sans the nose and make a few noses out of red construction paper and blindfold a student and see if he/she can get the nose close to where it should go. Ed

21 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Have a look at this:

http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=elementary&age=13&tipo=activity-card&contents=Christmas+games&username=&B1=Search#thetop

21 Dec 2010     

jrg2
Japan

My 2 most successful games:

Charades (10-30min)
- I write the language on the board they �re going to use.  (For example: You �re ______)
- One player from each group follows you outside the class and all the students look at the charades card
- They run back into the class and perform for their group.
- The first student to put their hand up and use the language correctly as well as have the correct guess wins a point.
- Keys to the game: counting down from 10 at the end of every round.  The students are supposed to run outside and back inside, ready to perform in only ten seconds.  It helps maintain the tension and it relieves the students of having to worry and think too much about their turn.  They �ll spend most of their energy thinking about how to mime the information
    - No speaking from students who are coming back into the classroom.  They might try to sneak one by you
    - Pre-mime things as examples before the game (choose difficult ones like "cooking steak" or "playing mario" to mime to the students).  They �ll think it �s funny and it will require you to do many complex movements.  It will help the students during the game.

Syllable game (I saw this on the website called Genki English) (10-20min)
- You say a word (or phrase), and the students have to guess as a group how many syllables are in the word.  It will challenge them to think in English rhythm and not the rhythm of their native language.
- Make cards with the numbers 1-10
- Teach students to pound their fist into their hand as they count syllables
- Show examples like "Canada" ---> KA-nu-du (and pound your fist as if you �re trying to work out how many syllables are in the word.  I like to make mistakes before I show them the correct answer), and then I count down 5-4-3-2-1...GO!  And I raise the number for how many syllables there are (there are 3 in the word Canada).
- Then we practice a couple of words as a class, and then we start the game
- The elementary school kids ask for this game every class, and the 15 year olds thought it was really novel.
- Teaching them new vocab became vastly easier after teaching that game, because from that point on I was then able to show them the rhythm by pounding my hand.
- For the Christmas lesson, I said words like... "Merry Christmas", "Happy New Year", "Rudolph the red nosed reindeer", "Christmas stocking", "turkey n � all the fixn �s", and whatever other Christmas vocab I could think of.

JohnParty

22 Dec 2010     

lili79
Czech Republic

Thank you everybody :)

22 Dec 2010