Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day 27 12 2010    

Word of the day 27 12 2010

Mariethe House
France

Word of the day 27 12 2010

Oh my God!!I wrote something totally silly and here I am , the winner of yesterday �s WOD! Thank you Nancy! I will try after your professionalism at this game, to do my best!!!

So, the word for today is:Erinaceous

Off you go with your wittiest , strangest, spontaneous daffynitions!

The winner will be announced some time tonight (spanish time), after my siesta and my tango class!

Have a nice and happy  day all!Smile

27 Dec 2010      

roneydirt
United States

Erinaceous was a red headed tall dinasaur that roamed the Celtic landscape.  Not only could you tell them by the long locks of red braided hair but by their late night cry of "Erin go braugh"  They were also fierce warriors and love a good pint after a good day of fighting, but they were lousy farmers.  Their favorite vegetables were potatoes and cabbage; as for meat anything they could catch was game for the dinner table.

27 Dec 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hello dear Mariethe and Roneydirt,

Well, Erin is obviously a girl �s name and "aceous" sounds rather like "tenacious," defined in an online dictionary as:

holding fast; characterized by keeping a firm hold (often fol. by of): a tenacious grip on my arm; tenacious of old habits.

so... erinaceous, or actually Erinaceous, refers to all those rejected and desolate ex-lovers who still hold onto the faint glimmer of hope that someday they might be able to be with the beautiful and serene Erin again and therefore can �t let her go and move on to find happiness with somone else.

Ahh, the poor lonely hearts. And that wicked Erin! Breaking all those innocent hearts that cross her path.

27 Dec 2010     

chud
Israel

Erinaceous - is a person who has made a mistake (error) in chosing his CEO, which is Carrer Education Opportunity. "ous" is a suffics indicating it �s an adjective. Therefore -
ER-IN-A-CEO-(O)US

"My friend began studying psychology, but understood that he had apparently got erinaceous, he doesn �t like it at all."

27 Dec 2010     

jecika
Serbia

er = hesitation/ uncertainty
in = preposition
ace = a serve that one �s opponent fails to hit (tennis)
ous = preposition (speech error ... it should be out ... not ous)

"Erinaceous!!!" = this is what a tennis empire with a speech problem shouts when he is not sure whether an ace was served or not Ermm Confused
This expression was used in the past by empires who were not able to handle situations in which John Mcenroe went ballistic Angry at them Tongue

27 Dec 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Well done girls!!   A real challenge!

Already I don �t know which one to choose! You are too clever!!

waiting for more stupendous daffynitions!

Edit  hey hey!! Where are you? Come on!!Wink

27 Dec 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

well, I �ve thought long and hard about this one and EUREKA! I think I �ve got it....

ERINACEOUS is a kind of �new age � cure for an upper urinary tract infection which makes it very painful to go pee. 
You then have to visit a modern druid who recommends you repeat the word erinaceous seven times whilst closing your eyes really tight, and Hey Presto you �ve wet the front of your shoes, and the shame of having peed on your shoes makes you forget all about the pain. Embarrassed

27 Dec 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

someone who desperately wants to be like Erin Brokovich...

27 Dec 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

ClapLOL

27 Dec 2010     

conqueror_mko
Turkey

ERINACEOUS :

Well I am not a very funny man , but let me try ...

A : Err ! I was in a ceo �s house in US.

B : Who was s/he ?

A : She was Erina CEOUS from ...

27 Dec 2010