Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > immediate help!!!    

immediate help!!!

YASENYA
Turkey

immediate help!!!

ı am going to teach colors to six-year olds but ı can �t find a suitable game can you help me, please?

30 Dec 2010      

zailda
Brazil

As fast as rain in S�o Paulo City!

Have you checked this link?

30 Dec 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

Hello....For that age try to use something linked to phantasy.....I used coloured little fairies...to present the different colours.Then they drilll(repeat individually and collectively) to get acquainted with the sonority and finally when you see there �s enough practice hide the fairies in different places in the classroom.Ask for silence and tell the children that  there was some magic and the fairies vanished.He or she must try to find one of them.Where he finds out he must say the colur aloud and the others repeat(collective drill).Then ask other child to look for the missing colour and repeat the procedure.You can then glue the fairieson the BB as soon as they appear.It �s easier for the kids if they see them clearlyand helps them in the memorisation process.Good luck!Hope the idea is useful!
Don �t forget you can use realia afterwards....ask them in rows to show you smt of the colour you mention...For example you say "orange"and then kids get up  and tand tall showing a pencil /rubber /something they have on their tables.Then you can do this using all colours....

30 Dec 2010     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I rememered something else...You can use a giant foam  colour dice(you can get in online or at many toys stores) to practice colours!

Bring with you a box of coured pencils too....The idea is to make a colourful classroom.....Smile

30 Dec 2010     

AnnyJ
Taiwan

First introduce colors by using different color of small candies in small see- through bowls, Then let the students name the colors. Then let them do it one by one and if they are right they can eat one of that color candy. Activity: worksheet candies to color, number each candy and then let them color by number.

This one is messy, but is an absolute winner:  Use plastic bags to cover the floor, put 2 or 3 big white posters on the wall. Have different color paint, if a student can identify the color, he/she can help to �paint � the picture. Student stands 1 or 2 feet from poster, dip one tissue in paint and throw it to the poster. I usually use a small plastic bag as a glove, but some students just love to get their hands dirty.

I always like to play the �balloon game �. Blow up different colors of balloons(keep in black bags), then let the students pop the different color balloons in different ways, maybe with their hands, feet or pencil. Then ask the students to help clean up color by color. Reward them with stickers or leftover candy.

31 Dec 2010     

petili
Bulgaria

You can play a Guessing game with colours, too.
You will need flashcards with colours or you can use colour pencils, instead.
The teacher starts the game. She or he chooses a card /pencil and doesn �t say which one. Ask: "Guess! What is my colour?"
Students ask: "Is it .......?" / or say only the colour - for examle: red?
The one who manages to guess the colour is the one who chooses his or her colour and asks the others and the game continues. You can use this Guess! game with many different topics. You only need either flashcards or realia
Hope it helps
Hugs
Petya

31 Dec 2010     

petili
Bulgaria

...or you can do Colour dictation
You need a black and white picture ( you can find plenty on the  Internet using Google and prompt words : coloring pages) and tell them which object what colou is and they colour them
An easier way is to tell them for example: " Draw a red apple" etc and they draw these objects. In this way you can revise some vocabulary too - food, school objects, etc.
Petya

31 Dec 2010     

class centre
Belarus

Look! My sts love the following game on colours. We all sit on the floor. I choose 2 or 3 balls of different colours. The class is divided into several groups which "support" a certain colour. I ( with the help of some other st) slightly push the balls as if they were running races. And the cheering  groups all together yell - red ball! red ball! or green ball! green ball! One of the balls is the first to reach the finish line and the team yells _Yeah! Red ball! Then we do it several times. Then we can add another colour or take the new ones set. It all depends on the memory of the class. It takes about 10-15 minutes and adds emotions and switches on their memory.
Happy New Year to all of the teachers who on such a day think of school things.
Natasha

31 Dec 2010     

YASENYA
Turkey

thank you all for helping me :))
I wish you all have a wonderful year :))

31 Dec 2010