Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help please!    

Help please!

miesies muis
Namibia

Help please!

My school year starts on the 17th of January and there are so many ideas running through my head, but there is on thing that I am struggling with! 
Should a child be taught to sound words phonetically or to spell them? Do you have a site where I can go to read up on this? Personally, I feel that a child should be introduced first to the phonetic part and later switch over to the spelling part. I found that when a child asks me how to spell a word, they can do it more easily if I spell it instead of using the phonetic sounds. It is as if the children get confused. Please help me clear my own thoughts.

Lots of Love 
Heart

2 Jan 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Well, in France, we are supposed to start presenting new vocabulary and grammar structures orally and only when they master the pronunciation quite well, we can write things down.We don �t use phonetics very much ..... It brings in another form of language which is quite off putting for children as it is not a natural thing to learn !
Repetition, usage through games , activities will get them to pronounce better than phonetics. Only my Opinion and what is done in my country!Smile  Good luck!

2 Jan 2011     

Natashenka
Ukraine

I agree with you that a phonetic part shoud precede. I first introduce a child to the transcription and then to the alphabet. We learn sounds both orally and in a written form in pairs (a long and short vowel, a voiced and voiceless consonant), then thouse sounds that are left alone without a pair (sonorants, etc.). Each sound lives in a cage. The vowels are girls, they sing songs. The consonants are boys, they make noise. Then we learn the letters and match each of them with all the sounds it corresponds to. We thoroughly learn the rules of reading. Prehaps it �s a long process but it �s worth working on! In future the children will have a good pronunciation and excellent reading skills, even young learners will be able to read difficult texts.  

2 Jan 2011     

nombasa
South Africa

One thing that I do along with the phonics and teaching is teach the children that a dog say woof, a cat says miow, A says ah, B says bu, C say cuh etc.  It helps them understand that the name of something makes a sound.

Along with teaching the children to sound out words phoetically, teach them to sight read.  Use flash cards games etc.  Most of our reading is not decoding words but recognising the shape of a word.  This helps fluent reading.  You should not use one technique without the other though.

2 Jan 2011     

miesies muis
Namibia

Thank you to every body who replied to my question. It is wonderful to know that there are so many people with so much knowledge!

2 Jan 2011