Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > How to use the SIX THINKING HATS method    

How to use the SIX THINKING HATS method

Mar0919
Mexico

How to use the SIX THINKING HATS method

Hi...!!!! Browsing through the forum, I came upon a very interesting topic: Six Thinking Hats.

Suhakhader suggested using this topic for a teacher training session.

I had never heard of it before, and googled it to investigate what it �s about, and my attention was instantly caught! I found this method very, very interesting.... BUT..... I would like to know, if any of you who might know about this method, have you used it in your classrooms with your students? As a I said, Suhakhader suggested this as a topic for teacher training, but with students, how have you used it? to teach a certain topic? as a habit or routine for any lesson? If you have used this method, please share your experiences. Has it worked for you? Has it not? Why?  I actually found a printable here in ESLP, related to the topic, but it was kind of a reading exercise, not quite what I need in order to understand how to use it with my students.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

4 Jan 2011      

sportyroberts
New Zealand

Hi ya,
We were shown the hats for Social Studies and I have used it in class.  Not with my ESOL students though since I actually forgot about them and didn �t make the switch across:)  I really like them though, its a great way for the students to get another perspective on when you are asking them to read and understand.  You could use writing prompts and have the students write a story and then they have to rewrite the story using a particular hat.  Or read some text and have to answer the questions using the hats - its always interesting hearing the students answers as you get the odd student who will think outside the box that will surprise you :)  Of course you can also have big hats that the students wear when they explain their answers - they like that :)  Does this help?

Sharne

4 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you Sharne, very interesting. You �ve given me a little more understanding on how to use it!

4 Jan 2011     

nombasa
South Africa

Hi

I used the six thinking hats a couple of years ago when teaching entrepreneurship to a degree class.  English was their second or third language and even though they were adults who were working at degree level, they found it a bit taxing.  I think they found it hard to focus on only one aspect of the problem.  Perhaps they had been taught too well to consider all sides of an argument.

It was however fun and I think that you learn just as much from mistakes as from successes. 

It was part of a unit which tried to get students to �think out of the box� and be creative and to look for different solutions to problems. 

Jenny

4 Jan 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Jenny!

I take it, then, that this method is more effective when used for a reading comprehension task, or problem solving task. Correct?

4 Jan 2011