Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your opinion    

I need your opinion

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I need your opinion

Hi,

There are many countries � names have the same names as in Arabic e.g. Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Bahrain but with little different pronunciation . The difference is in the Arabic letters that are not found or pronounced in English language.

As you know each language has its own sounds. In Arabic these countries are pronounced differently like Bahrain

as in

Afghanistan

Now when we teach English in the class and different countries are mentioned in passages, sentences ...etc. , What should we say the English letters as pronounced or as we say them  in Arabic ?? ; I mean the specific letters that has the difference pronunciation in the same name of the country ???

Thanks a lot in advance,
:)

5 Jan 2011      

troush
Jordan

hi
good evening . in my opinion,I think you should teach them in English. According to my experience in riyadhschools for boys I think the ss should have the English pronounciation, otherwise, you r teaching  Arabic.

urs
Talal

5 Jan 2011     

carlucci
Albania

As a translator, I would advise you to pronounce the words the way they are pronounced in their original language. For example, when we read in English the French word "cafe", we pronounce it "cafe". The same thing applies to the Spanish word "Hola" or any other thing. What don �t we try to teach our students how to pronounce the words the same way they are pronounced in the original language.

5 Jan 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi all,
I agree with Troush, because we teach English not Arabic unless we say names of persons, like Mohammad; we say: محمد

Thanks for sharing!

5 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

I would teach the English way.  Example:

The German city of K�ln is called Cologne in most the rest of the world.  If I am speaking with someone other than a German and say "K�ln", they will have no idea what I am talking about.

I had some Greek friends that used to ask if I had ever been to (what sounded like) Monaco--they meant Munich (German "M�nchen").  For years I couldn �t figure out why they thought we could drive through Monaco to get from Italy to Central Germany.

and don �t even start with the different names for the city of Florence.

Douglas

6 Jan 2011