Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me!    

Please help me!

almaz
United Kingdom

So, Janet att, a doctor would never say "Congratulations, it �s a boy!"?

If you check Swann �s Practical English Usage under the entry dealing with personal pronouns (1) look at the section entitled �it used to identify �: �we use it to refer to a person when we are identifying him or her �.

Who �s that? It �s my teacher.

Yes, it is.

5 Jan 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hanni9,

I agree with those who say: �Is this your teacher?�  �Yes, it is!�

The Subject in both sentences is the Non-Personal Gender, �it�.

Professor Quirk et alia, (5 other English Professors), in �A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language�, 2010, page 341, Table 6.8, �Gender distinctions in pronouns�.

�Non-Personal Gender� --- �it�.

Bruna, �I, Les Douglas, have never seen� a whale in real life, but that doesn�t mean that whales don�t exist.  It simply means that my experience of whales is limited.

How is it �clear� that the words �this man� or �this woman� are omitted in the sentence?

Here is a fictional situation.  A student and a friend are looking at a computer.  The student says: �I have been taught everything I know about Mathematics by this Computer!�  The friend asks: �So, is this (Computer) your teacher?�  The student replies: �Yes, it is!�

You make the assumption that the two conversationalists can actually see the teacher whom they are discussing.  There are many instances of �conversations� where the two individuals can not see the person being discussed and do not know if the teacher is male or female --- on the telephone; e-mails; two blind persons; etc.

�Who is making all the noise in the next room?  Is it the Teacher?�  �Yes, it is!�

Edrodmedina

I have often been asked: �Is this your brother?� (because I have four brothers).  I replied: �Yes, it is!�

Bruna, I would ask my daughter the question, and receive the answer: �That person at the end of the corridor.  Is it your Teacher?�  �Yes, it is�.

Janet att, I agree with Almaz.

Quirk et alia, page 341, �Just as a baby may be designated �it�, so a member of a non-human species may be designated �he� or �she�.

I hope that, in putting forward my point of view, I have not caused any offence to anyone, especially Bruna, who made some very valid points.  If I have insulted anyone, I apologise.

Les Douglas  

6 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

As I see it:

We can discuss this all day, but it won �t change that "yes he/she is" is NOT wrong.  Neither is "Yes, it is", a lot depends on the situation (see Ed �s response for example).

6 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2