Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is this sentence correct?    

Is this sentence correct?

douglas
United States

the being lazy belongs to him (it is one of his characteristics).

6 Jan 2011     

serene
Greece

@ Kita
I agree with Douglas. You can find a detailed explanation here

6 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I would think Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage is slightly more authoritative than Tina Blue (who she?) and this is what it has to say about the �possessive with gerund �:

This construction, both with and without the possessive, has been used in writing for about 300 years. Both forms have been used by standard authors. Both forms have been called incorrect, but neither is. Those observers who have examined real examples have reached the following general conclusions: 1. A personal pronoun before the gerund tends to be a possessive pronoun in writing [�] 2. The accusative pronoun is used when it is meant to be emphasized. 3. In speech the possessive pronoun may not predominate, but available evidence is inconclusive....[...] 7. Many writers use both forms of the construction.

It does go on to say that it �is one of those idiomatic usages that seldom give the native speaker trouble � and that it �will trouble learners of English much more �. 

I have no problem with either usage depending on context and need for euphony...

6 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2