Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Women īs rights    

Women īs rights

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Women īs rights

Hi friends from all over the world!

Next week I𠍿 going to deal with women𠏋 rights. Therefore, I𠍿 in the middle of creating a worksheet to introduce it and the thing is that I鏆 like to create an exercise including important women as far as that topic is concerned. Besides Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Friedan, Germaine Greer, Farida Shaheed, Millicent Fawcett and Emily Davison, what other names would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Cristina

7 Jan 2011      

tancredo
Portugal

Cristina,

I suggest Rosa Parks. She was fundamental in the fight against segregation in the USA.

Happy New Year!

Leonor

7 Jan 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Cristina,I īd suggest Rosa Parks, Freedom Nyamubaya, Nasrin Sotoudeh, Dr. Dorothy I.  Height and I īd recomend this site:http://www.visitrochester.com/women-heritage&rights/

Hope it may be useful!

7 Jan 2011     

alien boy
Japan

How about Catherine Helen Spence or Louisa Lawson?

It īs a great topic to cover. This Wikipedia article is an interesting overview too: Womenīs Suffrage on Wikipedia.

Cheers,
AB

7 Jan 2011     

scoutteach
Portugal

Cristina
Since this is the International Year of Chemistry, why not mention Marie Curie? Actually, I have some material about her for the English class, which was provided by a friend / fellow teacher. It īs good stuff (but not mine...). Anyway, I think she doesn īt mind sharing it here!!
If you īre interested, just send me your e-mail.
Cristina Codorniz

7 Jan 2011     

Eibe
Portugal

Ol� Cristina :-)

The pioneer Mary Wollestonecraft (18th century), Mary Shelley īs mother

Emmeline Pankhurst and her daughters Christabel and Sylvia

African-American activists Ida B. Wells-Barnett (who refused to give up her seat 71 years before Rosa Parks) and Mary Church Terrell

Meena Kamal, Afghan feminist, assassinated in the 1980s

And the Portuguese Ana de Castro Osório, Carolina ângelo, Adelaide Cabete and Maria Veleda.

I hope this will help!

7 Jan 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Sorry, my link to Wikipedia doesn īt want to work or update.

please try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womenīs_suffrage

There īs a really interesting timeline & breakdown of voting rights by continent/geographic location & country.

I bet there will be a few surprises for many of you!

Cheers,
AB

7 Jan 2011     

jhovintan
Mexico

Frida kahlo, she was a Mexican painter woman, she had a difficult life because of a horrible accident. But she is a very famous painter.

Another woman could be Wilma Rudolph, she also got polio, she competed in track-and-field events it the 1960
Olympics.

Good Luck....hugs from Mexico, Naye

7 Jan 2011     

puddyd
Oman

Waris Dirie - raised awareness regarding the dangers surrounding FGM and was appointed UN Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation, .

7 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

Like her or not, I think Gloria Steinem had a significant contribution to women īs rights.

7 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Jeanne d īarc as a significant woman to break through the gender barriers in times a lot harsher for women than ours!

7 Jan 2011