Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to explain present simple tense    

How to explain present simple tense

mahaenglish
Egypt

How to explain present simple tense

Hello , hope you are fine. Please someone tell me about a way of explaining the present simple tense in a funny and creative way for students in grade 3.

ThanksThumbs Up

8 Jan 2011      

olalalas
Ukraine

as for my students they enjoyed and remembered Pr S in such a way:

1. It is Simple tense, that �s why verbs wear simple clothes - without anything - 1st form

2. but those verbs which are in singular - he/she/it (except I - as I am special) are afraid walking in the streets alone, as there are many bad people in the streets, and they take a friend with them "-s"  

and now when I show one finger and say that somebody is alone they know that a friend "-s" is needed. They always smile when hear this word "a friend" and they make no mistakes in the Present Simple Tense :)

I hope that will help you

8 Jan 2011     

mahaenglish
Egypt

Thank you .It is a nice idea really thank you

8 Jan 2011     

mary-butterfly
Brazil

Olalalas.I loved your idea..please if you more send us
thanks

8 Jan 2011     

uatike
Turkey

hey olalalas
it is a great idea. I liked it. If you have some tips like this, please share with us.
bye

8 Jan 2011     

etibenben
Israel

I tell them that they are "snobs" so they need the "s"

8 Jan 2011     

olalalas
Ukraine

I �m really glad that you liked it and found it useful. In such a way I try to find out smth interesting to attract student �s attention. Can �t remember everything on the spot. but here are some my ideas, although they may be familiar to you: 1. regular verbs are "Conservatives" they do everything according to the rules, their clothes -ed irregular hate rules they design new clothes and form groups (here it is better group irregular verbs into such groups: begin-began-begun, come-came-come; bring-brought-brought, teach-taught-taught) 2. Question mark is a star, e.g. movie star. And it needs servants - auxiliary verbs which come before the subject and lay down red path for the star... 3. In negative sentences verb is a boss, it can �t do everything itself, that �s why it hires servants - auxiliary verbs, and when servant works with "not" boss is free... 4. modal verbs are like gods that fell from the Olympus, they are too proud and that �s why make questions and negations themselves... so I use stories of that kind) hope you like it:)

8 Jan 2011