Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Explanation needed.    

Explanation needed.

Maja O.
Poland

Explanation needed.

Hi,

I need your help. I sometimes use the page www.elllo.org to give some listening to my students. I found there the dialogue between an  American man and a girl from New Zealand. And I have no explenation for this sentence which is taken from there. The girl says :

"There �s a lot of sheep in New Zealand and there �s a lot of cattle as well,..."

Could you help me ? Why does she use there is instead of there are ? Is it grammatically okay?
Thank you for all your answers.

Have a nice day.

8 Jan 2011      

ELOJOLIE274
France

hi,
in that case, sheep and cattle refer to a group of animals, but because it is a "group" it �s singular. just like "the police was called..."
have a nice week-end!

8 Jan 2011     

Ania Z
Poland

hello,
it �s correct. �sheep � and �cattle � in both cases are plural nouns. but they refer to �a group of animals�. It�s one of a number of words that don�t change form in the plural. One sheep, two sheep, three sheep...Plural of sheep is sheep as plural of hair is hair.

8 Jan 2011     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Hello,

is it correct to say "sheep are white", "fish are in aquarium"?

Thanks in advance.

8 Jan 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

The key expression is �a lot � (not sheep or cattle) although it often depends whether the following noun is countable or not. You could use either there is or there are with �a lot of � sheep and cattle but obviously you wouldn �t use there are in a sentence like �there �s a lot of blues (jazz/rock - music in general) in ----- �s latest album �

Actually, we �ve been here lots of times before. Here �s something which was discussed just yesterday.

@Alena, not all sheep are white; not all fish live in aquariums (or �aquaria � for you prescriptivists out there)

BTW: I remember being told that �there �s an awful lot of coffee in Brazil �. Is this still true?

8 Jan 2011     

Maja O.
Poland

Thank you so much for all your answers. They were a great help.

9 Jan 2011