Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

joy2bill
Australia

Word of the Day

Oh dear, my worst nightmare has occured! I have been tagged!
Okay, thinking cap on.
Thank goodness my intelligent young son is with me.

Sorry change of word. Apparently pandiculation has been suggested before.
So, drum roll, please. The new word is:

sophomania

Please remember the rules of the game: don �t give any dictionary/internet definitions, we want your own creative (maybe goofy) ideas about what it could be.

I �ll try and choose the winner this time tomorrow.

Good luck
Joy

12 Jan 2011      

magneto
Greece

Well, according to Wikipedia:
sop: a piece of bread soaked in a liquid

and according to the world-famous linguist magneto (Big smile):

home + mania becomes homania

So...sophomania is a condition. If you suffer from it, you tend to eat nothing else at home but bread soaked in olive oil or some other sauce, because your parents have repressed you as a child and told you that it is impolite to do so in public...They even used to sprinkle pepper on your sop when you visited relatives or friends to stop you from eating it...

12 Jan 2011     

Mariethe House
France

It � you Joy! not Jay! I recognized you this time!!

Well, I know, I know, i know!               

It �s all about my friend Sophie ( how come you know her Joy?) sopho in Greek ( is it not Magneto?) and mania: craziness

Sophomania: being crazy about my friend SophieShe is a great girl and I love her, I am crazy about her! 

12 Jan 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

so = very

pho = short for phony (not genuine, fake)

mania = craze, hype

sophomania = the short lived but intense hypes which seem to characterize our times.
Often it seems that taking part in the sophomania is more important than the actual �subject � of the hype. Drangonballs can be traded for Pokemons and Barbie pictures can be traded for Justin Bieber �s braces, as long as you know what the latest hype is, you �re cool.

12 Jan 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sophomania is a very common condition in high school and college freshmen. Freshmen are just starting out and don �t want to be stigmatized as beginners. They want to go to the next level: sophomore! So sophomania is the crazy desire to bypass the freshman year and become sophomores. It can also be used to describe the intense desire to date sophomores.

12 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Everyone knows that PHO is a Vietnamese noodle that is made into a great tasting soup with veggies and pork and meatballs and tripe. SO is of course the abbreviation for South. MANIA is a crazed state of mind. Put them all together and you get SOPHOMANIA: a crazy desire for South Vietnamese noodle soup. And that �s the truth. ED..Back to bed..
BTW...anyone have some true and tried recipes for pho??? We�re snowed in...
PS..Do I have a better chance of winning if I repeat the same entry???Several times. ;-)

12 Jan 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

This word may have a double meaning. "Mania" stands for "passion". "Sopho" may mean "Sophocle" and those who really love his works and teaching have sophomania.
Teachers may also suffer�from sophomania. They love the SOPHOmores so much that they think them best, and spend most of their teaching time on them, and it �s sophomores who they like to teach.

12 Jan 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sorry for the multiple post, Ed. I was afraid it didn �t post at all. I �ve since removed the duplicate and triplicate entries.

12 Jan 2011