Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Difference between: I look forward to hearing from you - I am looking forward to hearing from you    

Difference between: I look forward to hearing from you - I am looking forward to hearing from you

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Difference between: I look forward to hearing from you - I am looking forward to hearing from you

Hi dear colleagues,

I need your kind help.
Could anyone tell me whether I know the difference between the two sentences in the title right.

I think the first one: "I look forward to hearing from you" is more formal than the second one, so we use it in formal letters.

That �s why the second one is an informal sentence, and we use it in informal letters.

If my explanation and knowledge is not good, could you tell me the difference, please.

Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day.

Hugs,
Susan

12 Jan 2011      

tulpen25
Netherlands

I �d use "I look forward to hearing from you" in a formal letter only.

"Looking forward to hearing from you" = informal letter (although I personally never use it!)

12 Jan 2011     

youness
Jordan

I think ( I look forward to hearing from you is formal to be used) which means that I always need to hear from you) But ( I am looking to forward to hearing from you is informal which means I need you help for this subject only not always )

God knows better.

12 Jan 2011     

isa2
Austria

Both forms can be used without any stylistic difference, as long a s you say:
I look forward/ am looking forward to hearing from you.
However,"Looking forward to hearing from you" is only used in informal letters.

12 Jan 2011     

blunderbuster
Germany

I look forward to hearing from you: quite formal

I am looking forward to hearing from you: less formal

12 Jan 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American speaker, I don �t think there �s a lot of difference between the two sentences. As long as you use the subject I, I believe you can use them interchangeably. If you omit the subject in either, the sentence becomes much less formal. I personally prefer the simpler "I look for to hearing from you." In an informal note or email, I �d probably say "Can �t wait to hear from you."

12 Jan 2011