Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Why do you teach?    

Why do you teach?

Mariethe House
France

I taught for most of the generous or gratifying  reasons you gave until the end of my career (5 years before).

Then I changed schools and was confronted to a horrible headteacher who demolished me in the parents and children �s mind and I nearly abandoned teaching because of that! And I can assure you I had been a dedicated teacher up to then! It was really painful but it made me come down to reality! So I joined a teachers union who defended and supported me and as a result she was given the sack!
I think general opinion nowadays often relies on our generosity and desire to help children to pull us down at the first occasion and shoot at us, dedicated teachers .
Our job is difficult and tiring and we mustn �t put up with all the denigration that goes on to compensate for the lack of structure  and ambition from the governments ( for france anyway)for their Educational system.
I am retired now and happy to tell you that I ended my career in a way that I deserved: peaceful, motivated �,confident and happy..... because I had the courage to stand for my beliefs and stop people ( who didn �t know anything about education) tell me what I had to do .
Stand up for your rights!!! I guess someone else said that before!!LOL

15 Jan 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I teach because it �s not a job it �s pleasure ! I tried private schools, public schools. I even was the director of my own languages association I had to leave because I was moving. I did some translating and other things but here I am again. I �ve been teaching only private lessons for years now and what a pleasure to see bright looks when they have understood ! Their good marks, their improving, their pride are my best reward. I �ve known a kid who didn �t like to read and decided to read to make me happy and he told me "I �m happy because I like it now !" 1 of my students didn �t want to go on in her studies and she changed her mind just because she was happy in my class. Some of my students call me year after year just for the pleasure to share something with me. Yes my students and I DO SHARE the pleasure to learn, to become curious and to realize that they ARE ABLE TO DO MORE that they believe ! For the most of course. And I study my few failures to improve myself and I feel stronger when they are happy to become themselves able to learn something new every day with impatience and happiness ! The more they become autonomous and strong, the more I improve myself ! YES, I DO LOVE teaching !

16 Jan 2011     

< Previous   1    2