Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day (WOD) Winner    

Word of the Day (WOD) Winner

subzeroking
Iran

Word of the Day (WOD) Winner

Yesterday �s WOD winner is "Ishorton99" (Lindsey) who, in my opinion, came up with the most creative answer. So, congratulations to Lindsey!

The word was "batrachophagous"

Lindsey �s answer was:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I�m going to answer this question with a story.

I �m staying in a hotel in China while waiting for my apartment to be ready. One night, about a week ago, the heating broke. It �s very cold at the moment so I decided to go to reception to report the problem. Upon exiting my room, I was attacked by a bat. (I say attacked - it brushed my hair with its wings). I, of course, screamed and ran for the lift. I made my way to reception where, through mime (the receptionist didn �t speak English), I communicated the heating problem. He communicated that it would be fixed by the next day. I then said, �Oh, and there �s a bat on the 4th floor. � he looked at me blankly. �Bat. � I repeated. Still a blank look. Being a good TEFL teacher, I tried mime. Nothing. I indicated for a pen and paper and drew a fairly decent representation of a bat. He still looked confused. I wrote the word �BAT � and gestured to his translator. He looked it up and gave me a WTF look. �I know! � I agreed. �Bat! �

I returned to my floor, only to discover that the bat was now flying around. There wasn �t much light and it was cold but I bravely tried to make it back to my room. Halfway there, the fluttering of wings stole my remaining courage and I ran back to the lift, frantically pressing the button to close the doors. I returned to reception and tried to explain that I couldn �t get to my room because of the bat. A security guard was dispatched to accompany me. He went up with me in the lift and I cowered behind him as we approached my floor. The bat was still fluttering about, but he didn �t seemed fussed. �Good, � I thought. �He �ll take care of it. � He opened the door to a nearby room. I was a little confused - should i hide in there while he got rid of the bat? He then gave me a duvet. �OK, � I thought. �This must be to catch the bat. � He indicated that I should wrap it around me and that I wouldn �t be cold then.

That waas when I realised that they didn �t think the bat was important - the cold was what they thought I was worried about.

Batrochophagous - the art of communicating to people who don �t speak your language that there is a bat flying around the floor of your hotel!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The real meaning is:
Batrochophagous (adj) /Bat`ra�choph �a�gous/  Feeding on frogs.

18 Jan 2011      

Zora
Canada

And best of all, it�s a true story!! Or so that was what a little bat told me!! LOL

18 Jan 2011